icon

radio stays on after remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
billmyerz 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
I recently installed a Viper 5900 in my 2004 Ford F-250 Diesel. Everthing works great on it except the radio stays on after it is remote started and the trucks finishes the cycle. I know that this is because of the GEM in the Ford trucks and the fact that a door was never opened and closed after the cycle. How can i use a relay and/or the factory rearm wire from my remote start to pulse the door trigger wire? The other question that I have is since the alarm appears to remain armed during the remote start process, will doing this trigger the alarm by thinking that a door was opened. Thanks for reading my post and I appreciate any help that you can provide.
Bill
2004 F-250 6.0L Diesel
Viper 5900
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

You need to break the drivers door pin wire with a relay, and pulse it after shut down. The wire is in the boot in the door jamb. Grn / YELLOW

Cut the wire, solder a section of wire to both ends of the door pin wire, bring it thru the boot back into the truck. one half goes to 87a, the other to 30, 12v to 86, and the factory arm to 85

trigger this relay with a pulse aftr run time, or the factory arm. This will do it.

billmyerz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks KarTuneMan

That's the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks! Two more questions...

1. All of the wiring digrams that I have referenced have listed the door trigger wire as blk/ylw....no wonder i haven't been able to locate it. Why is that?

2. Will using this method trigger my alarm? if so, how can I prevent this?

Bill
2004 F-250 6.0L Diesel
Viper 5900
boogienights 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

First thing, you have two accessory wires in the ign harness.  Test and see if the radio and the heater power come from the same acc wire.  I have seen several vehicles that the heater controls are powered by the first acc and the radio is powered by the second acc. (or vise versa).   If this is the case, then you can just power up the one acc wire with the remote start and not the other.  This will keep the radio from even turning on in the first place.  If they are both powered from the same (usually not though), then you will have to use a relay.

If you have to use a relay, then you could wire a relay in line with the switch power wire at the radio.  Find you acc wire in the factory wiring for the radio and cut it.  Wire the radio side to 87a and the vehicle side to 30.  Use the orange "ground when armed" wire on the viper remote start and wire it to 85 and 12v constant to 86.  This will interupt power to the radio when the alram is armed and therefor will not allow the radio turn on at all while the alarm is armed.

Perfection is the only standard.
billmyerz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the ideas boogienights. This is my first remote starter install and I need all the tips I can get! I appreciate everyone's input.
Bill
2004 F-250 6.0L Diesel
Viper 5900
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
If radio stays on it is on a timer. Usually 10 - 15 min depending on make GM or Ford.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic