icon

intellistart iv woes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
showngo2000 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  

After recently installing an Intellistart IV Avantguard IV combo, I'm having some issues.  When I go to activate the manual start enable function, the lights flash once.  The relay to bypass the clutch will come on and then about 3 seconds later, it will disengage.  So I pull it up with Cliffnet and the starter icon is fine.  I mess with some of the timers, etc. in the starter function and then the starter grays out and I can't do anything with it.  After powering up and unplugging the brain and the Intellistart, the icon will finally come back up.

This did work correctly for a few months, but now something is screwy.  The alarm is on a 99 Ford Contour SVT 5 speed.  The PATS is bypassed and working.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 4:13 AM / IP Logged  
Last thing of all MANUALLY programme the tach. Do NOT use the Wiz it will screw up all your readings. Also make sure the parking brake standoff (blue / YELLOW) if I remember is going to ground and your brake light switch is working correctly.
showngo2000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Manually programmed the tach.  Now, the remote start enable feature does nothing...no lights, no relays, nothing.  So I turn the car off and press button 4 on the master remote.  Nothing.  Usually if I don't set up the remote start enable for manual transmission, the lights will flash when I hit button 4 on the master remote.  It acts as if the intellistart isn't communicating.  Any suggestions?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
2 things, check all three (2x30, 1x5 amp fuses) with a DMM between connection (large) to unit and ground,  make sure your data leads are in place. This car as a Ford Mondeo gives no problems.
showngo2000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

After much investigating on both the Intellistart and the AG4 brain and finding nothing, I decided to take things apart...really apart.  Upon opening up the Intellistart IV, I found one of the copper tracings on the board that appeared to be broken.  The tracing is showing the copper, while the rest of the board is just the green material that is covering the copper.  If I use a jumper to connect the tracing, the car starts fine.  Nothing smells burned or looks charred.  The place that is exposed, appears to be where one of the relays are attached.

What would cause this?  All voltage measured is fine, 12.5 volts.  Is the starter circuit spiking too much?  Or maybe a simple case of natural causes.  These were"new" old parts that were sitting on the shelf for quite some time. 

Thanks for the help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17852129@N08/2121212305/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17852129@N08/2121211693/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17852129@N08/2121988058/

showngo2000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

I soldered this back together, and now the alarm sees the Intellistart.  It's doing the same it was doing before it stopped working....

in Manual Transmission mode it will engage the clutch bypass relay then 3 seconds later disengage it.

in Automatic Transmission mode the car will start and die in about 3 seconds

Maybe a PATS issue?  I'm lost....

showngo2000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

So I'm thinking the remote start on the AG4 brain is fried.  I have another that I'm going to swap it with.  Should there be any diodes on the starter circuits?  Any other circuits that will need diodes?

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Use the in and out parts on the Wiz. Is your parking brake connected and does it go to ground when you put the brake on. Is it showing any anomolies such as footbrake depressed, hood opened?
showngo2000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, brake is connected, going to ground when the brake is on.  All shows normal on the Wiz..  It really makes me wonder b/c sometime the ignition on the car won't even turn on.  If I unplug/replug in the AG4 brain, all is fine again.  But until I unplug/replug in the brain, nothing happens.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
I think you've blown the eprom! N.B. No diodes required for I/Start.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic