car starter, 2005 pontiac vibe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
raddoris 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2005 Pontiac VIbe and am going to install a remote starter

Is it possible to have the option to turn on rear defrost in winter time and turn on the AC switch in the summer?

There are 2 additional channels on remote starter available.

thoughts recomendations appreciated

wwizard 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

It is possible to do that yes  it would depend on the unit you are using on how the function would work.

For example i did a 2002 dodge ram and after truck is running if she holds down trunk button it turns her defrost on her mirrors on

raddoris 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry should have posted more information

It is  aPursuit Series Model PRO 9171FT

There are 2 accessory outputs.

1 a Delayed 300mA Puled Out

2 a Latching Output transistorized, 300 mA latches to ground.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

never had used one of those systems. im not sure how the vibe rear defrost is operated. it can be pulsed, latched or timer. most are latched (+). make sure by testing your defrost button to see if ground, postive is pulsed or latched. wire your relays like so for AC or Defrost.

85 - Constant 12v

86 - triggers from either aux channels
87 - Constant 12v or Ground. (switch to whatever you need to be triggered)
30 - to device u wish to turn on.  

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Rear defrost. black wire (NEG)- LATCHED trigger.  Located at the switch.
raddoris 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2007 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks KarTuneMan,

I guess it would be a good idea to set up relays to be on the safe side?  Found the relay configurations on this site so it should be pretty easy.

Seems that the vibe actually activates the AC compressor when the defrost is activated even though the light does not come on.  Something to do with helping to clear up the windows (from fog).   I am hoping that by just activating the defrost I will in essence accomplish what I need except for the fact that the defroster will be activated in the summer time as well (oh well I think I can live with that).

Again many thanks.

raddoris 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I am going to install a remote starter in a 2005 vibe.  

Quesion is regarding the parking lights.   The remote starter has 2 white wires to connect for parking lights 1 connects to parking lamp and the other depending on if it is positive or negative triggered either you tie to 12V or ground.   So my guess is that in essence there is a relay inside the remote starter module that shorts the 2 wires together to either ground or pull up to 12 V fused depending on what you do with the second wire.  

I was thinking if that is the case it may be easier to connect both wires to the switch itself, then in essence it is simulating the switch being closed and then turns on the light as required.  Reason for this is that the wires for the lights will remain untouched and most of the circuit kept as original as possible 

Is there anything wrong with this thought pattern?

Thanks in advance  

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
My recommendation would be to ground the input side and hook the output to the negative (GREEN / WHITE) parking light trigger at the switch. You can ground it to the system ground when you bench wire the system. Bench wiring the system prior to installation keeps the installation significantly cleaner and allows for those types of connections to be made prior to tearing into the vehicle.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  

Your thinking is good raddoris...it's definitely good to simulate factory switching as closely as possible.  However it shouldn't be a problem on the vibe since it's a low current (-) parking light switch which just activates a relay...you can hook it up how twelvoltz said. 

I've hooked up to the factory parking light constant power on a few vehicles where I was running my remote start's main power to the ignition switch, but that switch wasn't fused high enough to add on the parking light current(e.g. '04 and up F150 - has a 20A ignition switch). Also done it on some other pickups with a bajillion marker lights.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
raddoris,
You didn't mention it, but it sounds like you're probably installing an Audiovox remote starter.
You've got it exactly right: Those two wires are just terminals 87 and 30 of a regular relay, which is internal to the brain...............at rest, they are "apart", when the unit wants the parking lights to come on, the two white wires are "together".......you can do whatever you want with them from there.
You could do as you say, connect one to the ground feed at the parking light switch, and one to the parking light wire. It wouldn't hurt anything, but it isn't necessary..........and also, many wires in the car rest at ground, and it's possible to make a mistake and use the wrong one.
But, if you choose to go that way, the ground wire at the switch should be WHITE/ black....that's the ground color in pretty much all Toyotas.
Don't forget to use the search feature on this site, and also search for the Matrix and Corolla, to find other time-saving tips, including tachometer inside the car.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic