remote start, 2001 malibu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
otterslide 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2007 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I'm installing a remote starter on a Malibu 2001 and it lists two different accessory wires, a Brown and a Orange.
I've seen a previous topic with people saying that only Orange is required for the climate control. Is this true for every car ? Will be ok to not hook up the brown on my car ?
Thanks.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 17, 2007 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
On most GM vehicles the brown is not required. The easiest way to tell for sure is to hook up the remote start and activate it. Once activated make sure you have no warning lights (ABS, SRS, etc) and make sure that the climate control blower and A/C compressor work under remote start. If all is working as it should the brown is not needed. In most the brown powers things like wipers and power windows which are not required for remote start.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
otterslide 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2007 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
thanks,
I took the wire out of the connector and started the car,
worked good.. just wipers wouldn't work.
otterslide 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
I just finished a remote start install and the passlock II is giving me a hard time on a Malibu 2001.
I measured the resistance, use almost exactly the same one.. within 5 ohms. The car starts fine, and there is no theft light on, but once the key is put it in the ignition and brake pressed, the relay disengages and links the key's resistance(which is only 5 ohms less)..
That makes the Theft light turn on. Is the system so sensitive that it detects the very slight change/disruption while the relay disengages and turns on the light ?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  

Is the system so sensitive that it detects the very slight change/disruption while the relay disengages and turns on the light ?

passlock systems are a PITA. i suggest u remeasure the ohms on the wire, and pick up a POT Potemitor and adjust it accordingly. Match up the resistance so they are exact.

just a question, did u use a module to do the passlock or the relay and resistor method?

otterslide 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I used the relay and resistor method.. I didn't think I have to get it so exact since I read on websites that I have to be within 5%.. I already had a potentiometer but I thought I didn't need to use it.. oh well
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
place your resistor, then your pot. i hope this helps out.
otterslide 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Ok,
I'm confused.. why do I need the resistor and the pot?
I can dial in my pot at exactly the resistance needed, is this not good?
thanks!
tedmond 
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

you can do that too. i have tried both before and  they work the same. during the cold weather, i guess the resistance changes, so i decided to place a resitor then a pot. but realized after i didnt need both. YOu can choose to use either method.

speed of sound 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2007 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
use a self learning bypass by DEI patrt # 555L works flawlessly everytime.
Speed of Sound Technologies
230 pershing Dr
Ansonia, CT 06401
203-954-0066
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic