icon

what’s better, one 12 or two 10's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Gbelous 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
What would be better for sound...quality and loudness?
1-12" high power sub or 2-10" not as high power subs?
say a 12" with 1000w or 2 10" with 500w each?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
It's REALLY hard to say. Generally speaking I would say take the single 12 and build the proper box for it, if it calls for a ported box for best all around sq then you will have the room to do it, vs. having to cram 2 10's into an improper box.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Quality and specs of the driver, and quality and matching of the enclosure...
Those are the two things that will determine the overall "quality" of output. In what drivers are you interested?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Gbelous 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
I really don't know what I'm looking into anymore. I wanted to put a 6" sub in the back dash to replace the stock one and a 10" shallow pioneer into the back seat floor of my sho, but everyone is advising against it.
So my next though was to put something in the trunk even though it already rattles like crazy. And this is where I don't know what to do...there are so many options and I don't have too much to spend. Initially I was budgeting about 300 for the 2 subs, amp, wiring kit and capacitor. And I was going to build my own box...hopefully.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well, forget the cap, and put that c-note toward a better woofer. This will be my first suggestion.
For 300, though, I'd say that "OK" is going to be about as good as you can go, and weakly mediocre if you insist on a cap... Get one sub, and a pretty good amplifier, and you can probably do a much better job. Lemme do a little bit of searching...
This woofer, with this amp will be quite a bit better than "OK", though not an "output monster"... It would sound pretty darn good, I think, and you're just a hair over the 300 dollar mark. You'll need a few extra bux for for the amp kit, but that's only gonna run you up to about 400. I think that's about as far down the list as I would recommend for a reasonably accurately rated amplifier, and a VERY accurately rated woofer.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Gbelous 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, thanks for the advice. I just heard someone say the cap was to help a little with the lights flickering and whatnot and since my alternator already needs to be replaced I was just going to go ahead and add it in. But if it's pointless to have then I will definitely reconsider.
Those links have nice products...what kind of box would you recommend for that set-up?
haemphyst 
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Middle of the recommended range, but sealed. That'll offer you a good compromise between extension and output.
The cap will only exacerbate your bad alternator issue. Replace the ultimate power source in your car before you decide to put bandaids all over everything! Since you need to replace it anyway, look into a slightly larger HO alternator, rather than an exact replacement.
And I just re-read your opening post... WHERE are you going to find ANY real amplifier, (let alone an amp and sub) with 1000 watts out for 300 dollars? Were you considering Audiobahn? (be sure that you catch all of the sarcasm in that... what’s better, one 12 or two 10's? -- posted image. )
Gbelous 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Already purchased the replacement alternator, just haven't received it yet, but it's the same output, didn't really consider getting a higher one cause it was pricey to begin with.
kylecm85 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
i would do one sub and a decent amp if u are not looking to spend that much money. But just remember you get what u pay for i usally go by the fact of a dollar a watt so if u want a good thousand watt amp u are going t have to spend a little bit of moey.
Gbelous 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
ah, okay. thanks for your ideas. I definitely think I'm going to simplify it and go with a prefab box and see if I can get some bundle deal for everything.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic