icon

audio whine after remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dbrown32 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a weird one. I just installed a Viper 160XVL in my 2005 Tahoe Z71. Used a DEI 1700G1 bypass module. Having a couple issues with it:

1) After remote start, the factory DVD has a loud whine, and I have to turn the truck off, then back on for it to go away. I thought maybe the tach wire was inducing this, so I removed it, and it still remains.

2) I can't remote start while the "Security" indicator is on. In other words. if I lock the doors with the remote, if I try to remote start before the security indicator goes off, it just cranks for a second, then shuts off. Is this normal? If so, it's not a big deal.

3) When remote starting, "service tire monitor system" displays in the message center. I have powered (and verified) the Orange and Brown accessory wires, as well as the 1st and 2nd ignition wires.

Any ideas? Thanks.

peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

DVD whine -- where are you tapping into to obtain 12 volts for the main power supply for the r/s brain?  Sounds like you're not getting a good power feed to your accessory wires -- did you go straight to the battery or are you using 12 volts in the ignition harness?

Re: security indicator -- might be something to do w/ the factory immobilizer bypass "resetting" ..

Tire monitor .. again, sounds like a power issue .. something is not right with the power distribution to accessory and ignition circuits. 

The search function is your friend.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
There is a factory disarm wire LIGHT GREEN (-) IN DRIVERS DOOR. Trigger with GREEN/ black from Viper 160xvl module 4 pin plug, that should help disarm factory alarm. The anti theft is a regular passlock 2 easily bypassed with relays and a resistor.
There is a white wire which is ignition 2 that needs to be powered or you will not power vital circuits and cause error codes such as tire pressure and possibly damage transmission like in Blazer models. You may not need to power the brown wire, it may only power radio and wiper circuit.
If you cannot get rid of whine, I will suggest re grounding all grounds from remote starter to a factory bolt in kick panel first and see if noise goes away.
Battery             RED        (+)          IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
Ignition 1     PINK        (+)          IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
Ignition 2     WHITE        (+)          IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
Accessory 1     ORANGE        (+)          IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
Starter 1     YELLOW        (+)          IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS     
Anti-Theft Type          PASSLOCK LOCK II     
Anti-Theft Descript     RESISTANCE BASED     
Key Sense     LIGHT GREEN (-)          STEERING COLUMN HARNESS     
Tachometer ANY UNCOMMON WIRE COLOR (AC)     ANY FUEL INJECTOR OR COIL PACK     
Parking Lights     BROWN        (+)          DRIVERS KICK PANEL     
Brake Lights     WHITE        (+)          AT BRAKE SWITCH     
Horn          BLACK        (-)          STEERING COLUMN HARNESS     
MAY ALSO BE BLACK AT BCM MODULE
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
dbrown32 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  

Hmm. I was told that I didn't need to worry about passlock, that the 1700G would take care of it through the databus.

I did pull 12V from the ignition wires, soldered connections. All grounds are in the same place, and to a clean bolt on the body. It's got to be something wacky with the factory alarm or 1700G, because all circuits that are hot during normal start/run are hot during remote start. That DVD thing is really wierd though.

dbrown32 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
As a side note, the "white" wire I powered for the 2nd ignition circuit looked yellow to me. It was with the brown and orange wires in the harness right behind the fuse panel, coming from the ignition harness. I checked the wire before tapping, and it was in fact hot during acc/run and crank. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct 2nd ignition wire? Thanks.
perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  
dbrown32 wrote:
As a side note, the "white" wire I powered for the 2nd ignition circuit looked yellow to me. It was with the brown and orange wires in the harness right behind the fuse panel, coming from the ignition harness. I checked the wire before tapping, and it was in fact hot during acc/run and crank. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct 2nd ignition wire? Thanks.
Yes that is the correct sec ign wire and I believe that the orange wire it is beside should have been your ACC wire.
perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged  
On a side note I know the last Chev I did my "yellow" starter wire looked really white to me. It seems that the whites and yellows are not too different in the Chevs.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
If I'm reading what you said correctly, it sounds like you're on the right Ignition 2 wire.
On that truck, it'll show power the very instant you start to move the key forward from "off," all the way through "start." It powers up WAY earlier than the pink ignition wire.
dbrown32 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I noticed that when the key is barely moved from "off", that wire shows power. I'm starting to think maybe my 1700 module is bad. I'm going to try another.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic