icon

h.o. alternator, 97 grand am gt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dtpaudio 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

Right now I'm in the process of hooking up my car for some spl competitions, and could use a lil' advice since this is the most powerful system I have ever attempted. I pretty much just need to know how much power I need. The car is a 97' grand am gt that came stock with a 105 amp alternator. Subs are the new 07' Orion hcca 15's and I will be running each one off it's own soundstream picasso 3500d ( I'll be running each at 2 ohms- 2500 watts rms each ). I also plan on amping my mids/highs, but haven't decided what amp I'll use for them though. Probly like 100 rms x 4. The car has a few tv's and some neon also. So I'm not sure how big of an alternator and kinetic cells I'll need. I also don't know how many cells I'll need.  These amps don't even have built in fuses, so I'm really not even sure what their current draw is. Can somebody please steer me in the right direction as to the proper alternator and kinetick combos?

Thanks.

Be loud,be obnoxious,man up, and bounce with a legend.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
2500W X 4 = 10000W OUT
10000W / .8 (at 80% efficiency) = 12500W IN
12500W / 14.4V = 868.1A
That's JUST for the subwoofer system. Now, you will not be using all of that, all of the time, but you are going to need a SERIOUS alternator, and you WILL be using all of that and more - FAR more - during your competitions. I wouldn't go with anything less than about 500 to 600A. Basically, you are looking in the range of 1000-1200A, easily. You aren't going to get that in one can, so you are now looking at a multiple alternator setup. I might also mention that you still have to power the car off that same alternator. Keep this in mind as you are designing.
PM jeffchilcott, the12volt.com's resident SPL world record holder, and see what HE suggests!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
crewwzin 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

Another route I have seen people take is to design a completely stand-alone battery system for the sub amps. For instance, they would take a given number of 8V batteries, each pair wired in series for 16V, and charge them strictly off of an external 120VAC battery charger when they get to the competition. This allows for maximum voltage to your amps for high output, and also elimates the need for trying to provide 1000A from the car.

The downside is you dont have a whole lot of listening time away from the competition lanes. If your car is gonna be strictly a lane pounder, this wont bother you too bad. Just another option for you. 

I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic