icon

01 mitsubishi montero magical start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ziadmoh 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yes, another stubid foreign car with a misterious problem.
An 01 Montero with Galaxy 5000RS-2W installed. I finished installing everything perfectly 4 month ago.
****The problemm is, the customer called complaining about car won't start w/ RS when it is too cold! I tested the car and found out that the car crancks and keeps cranking but does not start when cold; however it will start right away if using key.
****That means I have a tach signal! Right?
****I disconnected the 556U and put the key next to the ign cyl. car didn't start.
****After reconnecting 556U back, I tried to remote strat it with my house key in the ign, the car started. So I connect the key sense wire but invain.
****I cannot understand why would the car starts @ normal temp with RS, but it wouldn't when it is cold?????!!!!! WHAT AM I MISSING? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

This sounds like exactly the same problem I'm having with my '99 Galant (and if your Montero/Shogun/Pajero as it is known is .petrol you will have the same ignition system). It never starts first time from cold even with the key. I've tested and wired up all the ignition leads from the switch, 1 x acc, 2 x ign (one live while cranking) 1 x starter, played with crank time, played with tach (pumped idle speed up to 1000rpm) all to no avail. The only clue is I pulled the antenna from the ign switch and buried my only chipped key in it, 2 x immobilisers on the UK Thatcham alarm.  I use the unchiped key in the ignition.

Do Fortin or Trilogix market a KEYLESS transponder by-pass that I could use instead of a 556UW?

moonliter 
Copper - Posts: 322
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

If it cranks and wouldn't get up & run, usually one of the ignitions is not powered up. It happened to me once, could be related to the type of starter I used. I reconnected the acc1 to ign2 and the problem was solved. If you powered up the blue/red as an accy, try power it up as ign 2.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Watch the theft light, or have the customer watch for it, to see if it's flashing when the car's doing that.
When transponder keys get cold they emit a weaker RF signal, and if the antenna ring from the bypass is positioned slightly off from where it needs to be then this weaker signal will not go to the car at all; therefore it will crank but not start.
Fords are especially bad at this; however it can happen on any make when using an RF-based immobilizer bypass to do a remote start.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
ziadmoh 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I would like to thank you first for your help.
I can start the truck with my key when cold + RS will start the car when worm + RS crancks the car for about 20 sec w/o starting up.
With these tests I can verify that:
           # My tach wire is correct.
           # The truck is mechanically fine.
           # the RS along with 556U are wired correctly. (notice that I didn't wire 2nd acc. since I don't want my indash tv to turn on with RS).
If someone think that there is a solution for this problem please let me know.
Thanks
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  

You're testing right...but the 556U, in addition to needing wired correctly, also needs to have its antenna ring positioned correctly around the key cylinder.  20 seconds cranking without startup means the car's immobilizer isn't seeing a valid key and it's disabling fuel.

If the ring's off from the ideal position, then what will happen is that the bypass will work fine when the key in it is at ambient temperature. When the key gets cold, it doesn't send a strong enough signal to reach the factory ring around the ignition switch, the car think's it's being started without a valid key, and it cuts off fuel.

Don't laugh it this solution - I've done it before and it's ended hours of frustration. 01 mitsubishi montero magical start - Last Post -- posted image. Put the 556U, with the key in it, in your freezer overnight. Take it out when you're ready to install it...reconnect it and then remount the antenna ring in a position that will work with your frozen bypass box. That should solve your problem.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic