icon

im04 pats bypass issues rs 4lx remote

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderbronco 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
I am installin an RS-4LX remote start in my girlfriends 05 F150 for Christmas.  It's all done but it does not work.  I have also installed the IM04 PATS bypass module.  From that module I have the +12v to the constant +12V of the RS-4LX.  I have the ground to a chassis ground.  I then have the TX and RX wires tapped into the corresponding wires at the ignition.  I am told not to use the orange ignition wire from the IM04.  Lastly I have the brown wire of the IMO4 going to the blue wire of the RS-4LX three wire sattelite plug.  I can't get it to turn on.  It will activate but after a few seconds it goes off.  If I have a key in the ignition it will start for about 12 seconds then turn off.  I am pretty sure it has to do with the IMO4 bypass but I can't figure out why.  One of the issues I think is with the programming.  The instructions are not very clear. I am wondering if anyone has had such a problem or if they have any ideas for me.  The LED on the IM04 blinks once every 2-3 seconds.  I have tried resetting it but the LED does not do what the installation manual says it should do.  Any help would be very much appreciated.  I am trying to get this working by Christmas morning.  Thanks a ton.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
boulderbronco wrote:
If I have a key in the ignition it will start for about 12 seconds then turn off.
This sounds like your remote starter does not know the vehicle is running, check your tach connection and it's programming.
Who told you not to hook up the ignition input? Hook it up.
The XK04 (or in your case the XK04 branded by Omega as the IM04) programs to the vehicle in the same manner as you would program another key. Once all the connections are made, put one key in the ignition turn it to the run position, wait for the LED to extinguish, turn it off, put in second preprogrammed key, wait for LED to extinguish, turn off, remote start truck.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

I did not use the tach connection.   I have installed two of the RS-4LX starters before and never used it.  What makes you think I need it?  How can you tell if the truck needs to use the tach wire or the RS-4LX factory set Smart Tach mode?   Also the problem with the IM04's LED is that it never extinguishes nor does it do  anything that the manual says it should even if it did not program correctly.  I can't get the LED to go off and stay off.  It is always blinking at a pace of one every two or three seconds, real quick too.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 5:20 AM / IP Logged  
I know it may be difficult to see both at the same time...but compare the blinking LED on the bypass to the LED on the dash...they are blinking in unison, correct?
I can not speak for your RS-4LX system, as I have not personally installed one but a tach connection is the most reliable no matter who makes the system. The 12 second run time tells me that the bypass is working fine (regardless of the LED status). If your bypass was not working the truck would not run for 12 seconds, it might run for 1 or 2 but not 12. This is why I said I think your problem is with the remote start not knowing the truck is running. Take the tach wire under the hood, find the injectors, look at each one. On each injector there will be 2 wires, each injector will have a common colored wire (one wire on each injector will be the same color as the other injectors) and an odd colored wire. Hook your tach reference wire to an odd colored wire and program it. This way when the truck sits for any amount of time and takes a little longer to start the system is not shutting down and restarting it.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

Twelvoltz wrote:
I know it may be difficult to see both at the same time...but compare the blinking LED on the bypass to the LED on the dash...they are blinking in unison, correct?
I can not speak for your RS-4LX system, as I have not personally installed one but a tach connection is the most reliable no matter who makes the system. The 12 second run time tells me that the bypass is working fine (regardless of the LED status). If your bypass was not working the truck would not run for 12 seconds, it might run for 1 or 2 but not 12. This is why I said I think your problem is with the remote start not knowing the truck is running. Take the tach wire under the hood, find the injectors, look at each one. On each injector there will be 2 wires, each injector will have a common colored wire (one wire on each injector will be the same color as the other injectors) and an odd colored wire. Hook your tach reference wire to an odd colored wire and program it. This way when the truck sits for any amount of time and takes a little longer to start the system is not shutting down and restarting it.

Thanks for the help.  I understand the Tach argument but I really think it is another issue.  If I was not up above 9000 ft. and 0 degrees out without a garage I would be out there trying everything.  But since that is the case I am trying to determine what I should do before I freeze my ass off and get frostbite on my fingers.  The reason I think the bypass is not working is because it will not start unless there is a key in the ignition.  If there is it will run for the ~12 secs.  If the key is out of the ignition it will kick on (lights and Accessories) but it will not start the engine.  I am thinking that maybe the red wire from the IM04 should be to an ignition wire (that sees +12V only when you turn the key on) instead of a constant 12+V like the instructions say.  The manual is very hazy, at best.  I was told by Omegas tech dept. not to connect the orange ignition wire from the IM04 and just use the Red to +12V, TX to TX, RX to RX, black to chassis ground and brown to a ground while running wire from my RS4-LX which I was told by the tech dept. because it is not in the RS-4LX manual. Coming from the IM04 I know my TX, RX and ground are correct.  The ground while running wire I am not 100% positive is correct even though tech said so.  And the Red and/or orange ignition I am not sure are right either.  I had the orange ignition wire hooke to the PATS ignition wire but it still did not work.  I was told not to use it so I cut it.  Tried to reprogram and still nothing.  I have a few hours to figure this out if I want to get it done for the girlfriend by tomorrow morning.  And it's gonna be COLD tonight.  Thanks again for the advise and help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic