icon

disarm viper alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
81Nascar 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ok about a year ago picked up a 99 Caddy Eldorado.  Supposedly (sp) it has a remote start set up on it.   That's what I was told when I bought it. Anyway the previous owner had the alarm  disarmed before I bought the car. His reason was that it was to sensitive and would just go off all of the time.    So for the last year I have been driving around with the unit off. No blue led light to indicate it was on and I assume it was disarmed . Also the little lcd remote has no batteries in it.  Figured I would get it all back on line this summer when it warms up and I have time to go through it.    So the other day it gets pretty cold . Like below zero.  Start the car as normal and let it warm up. Then I drive to the post office and shut it off.  Come back to the car and as soon as I opened the door I hear the alarm start chirping and the blue led light starts blinking.  So now the car won't start. So I assume starter interupt has taken over.   So had the car towed home.   Even putting a battery in the remote didn't do anything,(grabing at straws to avoid an expensive tow), when I tried to work it.  Just kept getting three beeps.  Admitidly I don't know much about this particular alarm.  I have no idea what model it is and who put it in. The old owner is long gone.    After doing a  little search I hear talk came up of a override/valet switch. I tried to look for it but as of yet I have been unable to find it. Plus being below zero still I'm not in the mood to stay outside and look for it too deep. No garage./   So is there another way to over ride the system beside the valet switch??  Any ideas where the switch might be?  Would like to have my car back. 
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 5:32 AM / IP Logged  
No garage in cold weather kind of limits how much time you can spend under that dash. A good installer will hide the valet switch or even integrate it into another existing switch (like a headlight switch). Even if you do find the switch, depending on the exact model of the system, the original installer or even vehicle owner could have changed the required number of pulses that will manually over ride the alarm.
My suggestion is killing the power to the system until it gets warmer, or you can get it into a heated garage. The problem with the 99 Eldorado is that a large number of the required connections for an alarm can be made behind the back seat between the seat and the trunk wall so the installer very easily could have put it back there.
If you take down the panel(s) under the steering column and look at the ignition wiring coming down from the key you might be able to find the wires that were added. In these wires you will see 2-3 fuse holders that look 'out of place' for being under the dash. Pulling the fuses from these holders should disable the alarm entirely until you have enough time to trouble shoot the system properly. If you can locate the alarm brain itself disconnecting all of the harnesses that run to it will serve the same purpose.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
81Nascar 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks twelvolt.  So basicly unplugging the alarm box will have no effect on the car running or working right. ?  Not sure how integrated the alarm set up is. Yes you are right about the Eldoradro being very complicated. I have the factory service manual and have been studying it.   I'm not new to all of this, just not familiar with these two systems.  I did try to see if the previous  installer might have used the factory valet swith for the over ride, but it didn't seem to work.   I did however plan on pulling the lower panel as you mentioned to see what I can see when it gets a little warmer out.   It's in the 20's now so I can work in that.   Below zero is a whole nother story.  What are the chances of the brain box being just uner the dash pad??   Looks as if it's been off before and I was thinking they may have sliped it under there.  Thanks for the tips.

riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
if after taking the fuses out and it still dont start look under the dash for the starter kill. its a yellow wire that has been cut and the key side runs into the relay and the other side/motor side runs into the same relay. your gonna have to reconnect those two wires back together.Depending on the alarm, viper remote start like to have a purple wire that is connected to the motor side and green to key side.In this case there is no external relay to look for. good luck
81Nascar 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
Oh , I had another question related to this . As you know Caddy's have a info center on the dash.  Well on mine every time the key is turned on I get the  "theft system problem, car may not restart" message. It stays on untill I hit the info button.  Now I thought that I read somewhere that if a certain bybass module or something wasn't hooked up that the message would appear. So I guess could it be that the previous installer didn't hook the system upright or is that just the way the are? 
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
81Nascar wrote:
Oh , I had another question related to this . As you know Caddy's have a info center on the dash. Well on mine every time the key is turned on I get the "theft system problem, car may not restart" message. It stays on untill I hit the info button. Now I thought that I read somewhere that if a certain bybass module or something wasn't hooked up that the message would appear. So I guess could it be that the previous installer didn't hook the system upright or is that just the way the are?
Well your car is a passlock I which means there is a resistor in your key when you turn the key to crank the car it makes the contact sending the proper resistance to start the car. in the underdash there is a orange tube with two white wires in it. the installer had to cut those wires and put the right resistor across those two white wires on the side going away from the ignition harness. The resistor might of gone bad or bad connection.To find the right resistor your gonna need a multi meter and with it on ohms and taking both red and black and measure the resistance on your key. Thats the shinny gold slit in the middle of the key. Now your gonna have to go to radio shack and get the right resistor and remove the old one thats in the car. Or fucd it just find the orange tube and reconnect the white wires back up.if u do this your remote start aint gonna work but hey it never did anyways. good luck
81Nascar 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2007 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks fella's .  Got it disarmed.   Had to unplug the main harness from the brain box.  Car still worked as normal.  Looks like I have thw 791XV.   I downloaded the manual.  Thanks. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic