icon

i hate the car dealers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

We got an 07 Mercury Milan a few weeks ago for a remote starter. I installed the unit and everyting worked fine. Like a week ago we get a call from the owner saying that her car did not start at all. She tried the remote starter and the key and nothing on her dash lights up. She takes the car to the dealer and they fix the car but blame the remote starter, they said that the unit overloaded the ingnition switch circuit. Acording to the dealer tech the circuit is only fused at 15amps and the remote stater exceded that. And that when they replaced the fuse it blew again imediately, so they disconected the remote stater power wire from the ingition switch harness and we got charged $445. .

Today we got the car in to check the unit out and I just reconnected the unit back up and what did you know it worked perfectly. I then checked the remote starter draw on the system and it was only 1.1 amp total. I tried my best to reproduce the blown fuse and it didn't blow. It works fine. How can a 1.1 amp draw blow a 15 amp fuse? They are just full of #$%^ .

ieSpell rocks.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
bdl666 wrote:

...She tried the remote starter and the key and nothing on her dash lights up. ....

If nothing lit and a fuse did blow, there could be a different reason why the fuse blew like a short or something. I am sure you did a good job with the install, but thats the only reason I can think of other than agreeing on what you are thinking.
Mark
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2007 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

Im sure it was a blown fuse but that doesn't mean it was the remote start. This is common for the dealers. I had a 07 suburban come in for an overhead. Installed fine. Then about a month later something happened with the bcm adn the dealer blamed us. They said it was pulling to much current from the overhead which caused the bcm to stay on constaly. Maybe understandable except it was hooked up to a  switch meaning it only drew power with ignition on. This is a common problem with dealerships.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2007 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
dealers talk enough crap. my mothers car, has the dealer go through some1 to install the start. the car dosent even start cuz the mofo that did it didnt bother to wire up the second start wire. so i went ahead and did it. the car check engine light came on, went to diagnose it @ dealer and they gave me crap thinking i was the one that installed it ahah. i made the guy in tech feel stupid after i told him it was them that installed it ahah.
efroemms 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2008 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
If you tagged your 12V power supply for the remote starter off the main ignition harness, and that 12V wire only supplys 15A, that makes total sense. When you have the remote starter powering up the car, (along with the parking light circuit) and you go to unlock the doors to enter the car, it is totally possible to draw more than the wire could supply. I NEVER grab main power from a power wire that isnt atleast 12AWG. If there isnt a wire big enough (supplying enough current) run one along with your tach and hoodpin out into the engine compartment and go straight to the battery.
The dealerships are usually going to blame the aftermarket equipment, because they are in the position too. If they stick you with a $450 bill and you say screw you guys, im done with doing business with you, there are 10 other shops fighting to take the job.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
It's not just that your remote starter might have drawn more than 15 amps, it's also possible (we're all human) to have the wire short to ground by accident.
The 30-amp fuses included with most remote starters are not appropriate for all installations.
With low-current cars like the Milan you did, the 30 amp fuses should be removed, and the entire system should be powered by a fuse SMALLER than what the car has.....you could use 5, 7.5, or 10 amps.
This way, when the remote start has a defect, only your fuse blows, and the car remains driveable.
corrysmtx 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
dealership techs suck we had one try an tell us that are rs caused this guys starter to bad when we looked the install up on our computer we found out that the install was done over five years ago. Then we had another guy bring his brand new car in for an alarm. We couldnt get to it right away so we sceduled him in for a couple weeks later. In the mean time he had a problem with his car so he took it to the dealership. The kicker is that we gave him the sticker for his alarm he had it on his window. When he went to pick up the car they tried telling him he had to pay for the work because the alarm was the reason he had a problem. So we had to send the manager down to the dealership to show them that the alarm wasnt even in the car.
1 12" mtx 9500 4ohm dvc 1 8100d and 1 1501d almost loud enough to cover the sounds of my car dying.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic