icon

dual cd decks switched

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  

The route I would go is set one unit up to be the "Priority" unit.

On the remote turn on wire of the Priority unit install a SPDT (or SPST) relay. 

Wire Pin 30 to switched ignition that turns the two decks on

Wire Pin 87A to the switched power input on Deck #2.
Wire Pin 87 up to 2 seperate 4PDT relays (8 total sets of contacts, MUST be 4PDT)
Wire pin 85 up to the remote turn on lead as mentioned above from the priority unit
Wire Pin 86 to ground

Now, whenever you turn on the Priority unit it will energize the relay, shutting off the other unit (taking away the switched power).  It will also energize the 2 4PDT relays.  When you shut off the priority unit the relay will unlatch and switch back to the other unit.

The 4PDT relays will be connected to your speaker output wires.  The 30 terminal will be the speaker output.  Pin 87A will be the speaker outputs from the non priority unit (connected when the priority unit is off).  Pin 87 will be the speaker outputs from the priority unit (only connected when the priority unit is powered).  Do this for all 8 speaker wires and you should be set!

I can't think of an easy way off the top of my head to always switch back and forth based off turning each unit on.  I could do it easily with a small microcontroller circuit, but with relays it would be a bit more difficult. 

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic