icon

setting up eq

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gms81 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

I just installed my kdc-x889 (kenwood) head unit along with an older punch amp driving a pair of boston acoustics pro60 components. I had this issue when I had this head unit on my older speakers as well, I just cant get the eq set up to get the sound I want. I know this is a highly personal thing but I have messed with it so much I am just getting tired and am ready to just sell the radio and get one that just does bass, mid, and treble. Hopefully somoene can help, here is how the eq is adjusted,

60-180hz        + or - 9   Q can be adjusted from .25, .50, 1, or 2 (each offers these adjustment values.

600hz-1khz   

1.5 khz- 4khz 

12khz-16khz

There are about 4 selectable points in each range. I get too much of a "hall" effect with some adjustments and others I just have far too much treble. I have not finihsed my sub box yet (single boston 10" g5) which I know will offset some of the treble but I want the speakers to sound good by themselves. Any help is appreciated.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

gms81 wrote:
I am just getting tired and am ready to just sell the radio and get one that just does bass, mid, and treble.

Yea I know that feelin. 

Seriously tho, those settings are highly flexible.  Think of 60-180 as your bass, 600-1khz as your mid, and 1khz and above as your treble.

Reset all of your settings to +/- 0 and begin again.  I betcha you'd find a flat curve like that, from Boston Pro's, much better than whutever you've managed to dial in now.

Start with a +1 or +2 on the 60- 180, and, with no sub, I'd dial in a -2 or -3 on the top two settings.  Any extreme settings here will produce poor results.  I'd leave the Q at .5 or 1 for each of the settings, but this you might have to play with a bit.

With no sub, you will NOT find a particularly great balance here, but at moderate volumes you should find something listenable until you get your woofer installed.  Remember, these are *designed* to be run with a subwoofer, so you will find them rather shrill and, I would imagine, rather unlistenable until you install one.  BostonPro's being amplified with no subwoofer sounds more painful than pleasant.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
gms81 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

Where should I set the ranges at? I have to select a point in the given values.

gms81 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
I mean in the frequency range. I think I have it 120, 800, 2.5, 16k right now.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
There are no "correct" settings for an EQ.  It is completely dependent on the speakers and the environment of the installation, not to mention personal taste.  If you can't make it "sound good" by simply playing around with it by ear, then you could either just turn the EQ off (or set everything to "0") or go to a professional car audio shop that has an RTA and get your vehicle metered and the EQ adjusted as well as it can be.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic