2002 dodge caravan 3.3l problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bn880 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all,
I've just had a long tough day working on a 2002 Caravan as the topic states.
Hooking up a remote starter/alarm (system that works well on other cars), have not yet installed the transponder bypass module.
Basically the remote starter is hooked up according to this thread: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=53788
The van will not remote start even with factory key in ignition and at IGN position. It cranks, but will not power ignition coil packs and as a result illuminates the check engine light. (which can be reset using ODB tool) All ignition lights and chimes are coming on, the 180ohm is grounded through a relay to purple brown during start only (through relay). The car does not appear to have a factory alarm so the 9K resistor at BCM is not connected.
Also the car _remains running_ on the remote start without the factory key in ignition if it was initially aided to start WITH the factory key. (I'm thinking all the connections are good then)
What am I missing, will the Caravan not start without a bypass even when the factory key is in key cylinder and ignition on? Do all Caravans come with a factory alarm? Does the 180ohm need to be grounded during start or does it go between PURPLE / brown and VIOLET/ORANGE?
I'm pretty frustrated. I need some expert advice. HELP
Thanks
stuntinonabusa 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
if it comes with a grey key, then yes it needs a bypass.  been out of the game for a few years now so im not up to date on the particular bypass needed.   hopefully others will chime in to get ya the correct bypass.....
if at first u dont succeed........ lower ur standards
bn880 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
Certainly does, I know and one has been ordered, however even if it needs a bypass I thought it should start with the key itself...
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
In your last post, I assume you didn't mean to say that the van will not start with the key.
It also looks like you said the key was turned to the IGN position when you try to remote start. Try just inserting the key and do not turn it. I have no idea if that will make a difference, but I have never turned the key when testing a remote starter install before installing a bypass.
This all I can think of. I thought about a bad tach source, but then the car would start and then keep cranking if that were the case. Weird problem.
bn880 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yes sorry that was unclear of me. The car starts by turning the key to "Start".
I tested the remote start by inserting the key and going to "ACC". Didn't work so I tried "RUN". (now I think it's clear)
I will check without turning it. If anyone else has had an issue like this please let me know, this Caravan seems to be a strange beast. :)
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
I am not sure what unit you have installed, but I find it weird that the remote starter will try to start the car with the key in the IGN position. Most remote starters will not try to start but rather attempt a take over as long as the tach signal is present. It also seems weird that it wouldn't try to start in the ACC position.
Without knowing any more info it seems like there may be a couple wires mixed up between the car and the remote starter, although that seems unlikely with only 3 wires tapped into at the ignition harness, one being from a relay and a through a resistor. How do you have the relay wired for the 2nd starter (PURPLE / Brown)?
And just to clarify an earlier question of yours: even if there is a factory alarm, it should be disarmed when the PURPLE / brown wire sees ground through the 180 ohm resistor and the presence of a key in the ignition. And there is no need for any connection to a violet/orange wire at the ignition harness.
bn880 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you are quite right; it tries to start as I haven't hooked up the IGN ON sense wire to the remote start module. Of course that will be done. :)
The relay; one side of the relay coil is grounded (86), other side is driven by the remote starter "START" + wire through a diode (85). Common (30) is grounded, N/O (87) is connected to a 180ohm resistor and then to PURPLE / Brown at IGN pin 2.
I'm afraid there's nothing anyone can do for this Van. :p
chadwa2003 
Copper - Posts: 353
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of system are you using where did you get your 12 volt connection from. The ign on sense wire should be your main ign wire If that is not hooked up the car will definately not start. You should only have 3 main connections at the steering column you will have a main ign wire which is pink i believe the 1st starter wire which is yellow and the second starter which is a negative through 180 ohm resistor which is PURPLE / brown.
bn880 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
It's a Thor, but I know it works (in other vehicles at least)
Well, why would it not start without the ignition sense? It has the IGN ON as you listed connected. Pink/White.   Yellow is connected and obviously working as it cranks, and the 180 ohm is also as you say. I need to do more diagnostics to see if there is a screwup, I'll post when I find the problem eventually.
Thanks for the support.
bn880 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Okay the screwup was located as soon as I had another chance to open the sucker up. Thanks guys.
What happened is I stuck an 18 ohm resistor instead of a 180 ohm in there. (was super tired and misread both the colors and meter... 18.0 DOH)
PS; the Caravan has this resistance between ignition pins 1,2 (key sense return PUR/OR, key sense PUR/BR)
ACC = 1.5K
IGN = 0.55K
START = 176 ohm
Cheers

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic