icon

removing antenna

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rt4x4 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
I have a clifford 50.5 and am going to have to replace my windshield and what i was wanting to know is what is the best way to remove my antenna to the clifford and what is the best way to reset it on the new windshield
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
best way is take your time while taking it off. when you install it again, use some good double side tape, it must be new tape, and make sure the antenna is facing down or up and avoid the tint band on most cars at the top.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
I would just gently push something like a metal butter knife behind it until the antenna pops off.
Rub off all the old tape from the back of the antenna, and then clean the back of the antenna with maybe a little bit of rubbing alcohol. Clean the car's windshield too.
If you don't have rubbing alcohol, at least get it as clean as you can, even if all you have is glass cleaner.
Get some good, name-brand double-stick tape...3M makes good stuff.
Make sure the antenna, tape, and glass are all fairly warm. If it's cold out, run the car's defroster a little bit, with the tape and antenna sitting on top of the vent, to get them warm.
rt4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
what if i put the antenna on the back glass vertical on the drivers side,do you think the reception would be less or greater than horizontal in the middle of the windshield?
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
is your antenna a dipole or just a normal looking antenna? usually anywhere you place it will be the same unless its under a tint band, then you loose some range
rt4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
i asume  it is a dipole, it has a rectangular box with a wire sticking out each side, and would the slightly darker  tinting of the back glass affect range?
tedmond 
Posted: January 02, 2008 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
yea its a dipole, well it depends, i have placed it before in the middle below tint band and on passenger side pillar. they both are the same, but i see the middle of the glass just hides it so its not in your way. the slight tint does affect range but not much. it you got a pager, then yes it goes matter. if you got a 1 way remote, you will always have to be in sight of the car to determine if it has started or not (park lights) so placing it behind wont really make a differance.
rt4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone ever stuck the dipole antenna on the back of the rear view mirror, would that work ok? and what do you think about the range?
tedmond 
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
well yea placing it will work no matter what, as for range, i couldnt tell ya. it really all depends where you live. i have always stuck it to the glass to play it safe.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic