icon

connect stuff to battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
longhornman585 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to connect my radar detector directly to my car so it does not take up a plug... how do i do this?
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
If your car has a cig lighter which turns off with your ignition, go to to the back of the cig lighter and access the wires behind it. Use a multimeter to test for the wire which is giving 12v. Their will almost always be 2 wires their which means the other one is ground. You will use these two wires. Now, cut off the cig lighter plug on the radar and you will be left with two bare wires. Look inside the plug youcut off to see which wire makes contact with the fuse. This will be the wire onto which you will insert an inline fuse holder. You can buy this at radioshack. Get a max 3 amp fuse and use it inside their. Wire that to the 12v wire behind your vehicles power socket and wire the other one to the remaining ground wire. You will need a wire stripper, electrical tape and some crimp connectors. Of course the proper way is to solder but I guess you dont have to in this case. I was a little vague here but I hope it helped you a little.
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Before you connect your radar to 12 volts make sure thats what it uses,otherwise kiss it goodbye. Most newer models are reduced to 6 volts.
Cris
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah that's true. Some do need 5 volts, but most of the lower end units need 12 volts.
jrod83 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

csnut18 wrote:
If your car has a cig lighter which turns off with your ignition, go to to the back of the cig lighter and access the wires behind it. Use a multimeter to test for the wire which is giving 12v. Their will almost always be 2 wires their which means the other one is ground. You will use these two wires. Now, cut off the cig lighter plug on the radar and you will be left with two bare wires. Look inside the plug youcut off to see which wire makes contact with the fuse. This will be the wire onto which you will insert an inline fuse holder. You can buy this at radioshack. Get a max 3 amp fuse and use it inside their. Wire that to the 12v wire behind your vehicles power socket and wire the other one to the remaining ground wire. You will need a wire stripper, electrical tape and some crimp connectors. Of course the proper way is to solder but I guess you dont have to in this case. I was a little vague here but I hope it helped you a little.

also check to make sure your cig lighter turns on/off with ignition. some vehicles like most ford/chevy models have a constant cig lighter. If your cig lighter is just constant use the back of the ignition on the back of the radio or go straight to the fuse box and find an ignition source.

MECP Certified
I am the loudest and proudest member of the Fighting Aggies Class of '11 WHOOP!
SAW 'EM OFF!
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
jrod83 wrote:

csnut18 wrote:

also check to make sure your cig lighter turns on/off with ignition. some vehicles like most ford/chevy models have a constant cig lighter. If your cig lighter is just constant use the back of the ignition on the back of the radio or go straight to the fuse box and find an ignition source.

Hopefully he won't need his radar detector while the car is off...

He shouldn't need it at all, though -SLOW DOWN! J/K!

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2008 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
No but if his cig. lighter does have constant hot, then when he turns the car off, the radar detector will stay powered thus draining the battery over time. I have a cavalier so what I did was mount the detector right below the rear view mirror. Then I ran the cord up to the roof, over to and down the driver side A pillar. I removed the cig plug and gounded the ground wire and ran the power to an ignition fuse.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic