engine ground strap issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bean72 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  

Hey,

I recently installed a new 0/1 guage grounding strap for my engine thinking that I would end up with a better sounding stereo. After it was installed I noticed my JBL BPx2200.1 sounded much better at low volumes, but could not go as loud as before. It is also stealing power from my other devices now, I notice this because when my amp peaks my pocket pc will stop charging, and my battery light also turns on for a few seconds.

I also read up online that my amp is basically 2 amps in one, which explains the 2 ground/power terminals on it. Is it possible that only the one amp could turn on before the upgrade, and now that the strap wire was upgraded, the second amp was able to turn on, but there wasnt sufficient aperage neeeded to power them both?

Thanks for your answers.

kamberkash 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you need to upgrade the other cables in the big three and/or you need a bigger alternator.
what is the rms rating of the amp at the impedance load your running it? is it a class d amp? let me know these two things and i'll tell you how much current you need to supply the amp. or you could just add the fuses together and shoot for that amount of current(plus any other amplifiers and the car itself). keep in mind, if you go with a bigger alternator, make sure you have all three electrical cables in the Big Threeupgraded or it wont matter.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Car? (Model and year, please...) Amp? (manufacturer and model, please...) Woofers? (Manufacturer, model, quantity, and HOW YOU HAVE THEM WIRED... i.e. series, parallel, series-parallel) We need more information to ACTUALLY help, but it does sound to me like your alternator is too small. Fix it soon, or you'll be looking at replacing more than your alternator!
ECU's do not like running at low voltages, they tend to fry... Expendy! Far more so than an alternator now.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
The JBL Bass Pump amps were beasts back when they came out, so more than likely you will need to upgrade your alternator and most definately upgrade the big 3 and not just the ground strap.
bean72 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Hey,

I'll try to be more specific this time with my setup.

My amp is a JBL BPx2200.1 1810W RMS with Crown technology. It does not specify whether or not this is a class D amp. I got the Big 3 upgrade (just completed it about an hour ago, amp is still cutting off). I got 2 W12GTi subs, all coils hooked up in parallel at 1.5 ohms.

The car is a 1994 Ford Taurus. The alternator is stock rated at 130 amps.

After taking the day to think about it, I most likely need a power cap. I don't have one right now, and my amp and accessories don't turn off often. I listen to songs that average about 150-180bpm, and the amp only cuts off about every 10-20 seconds. So I think a cap may just solve all my probs, that and a new battery.

This is a learning experience for me, as I have only 4 months of experience. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2008 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
What is your system voltage?  Have you set your gain properly?  An alternator upgrade is probably what's  needed.  Maybe a battery refresh too.  A cap is not going to help you.
Support the12volt.com
advanced_audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
I can't find any specs on this amp anywhere but I used to own the JBL BP 600.1 and I remember it being a power hungry monster and yea the bass pump JBL amps were class D from what I remember so I could almost guarantee you will need a high amp alternator. Do you have a meter on hand to measure the voltage?
bean72 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 6:08 AM / IP Logged  
Right now I'm unable to measure my voltage, I misplaced my multimeter and cannot find it right now. But I know my gains are set correctly because the LED on my amp saying that the amp is putting out max power is only coming on at peak points in songs, therefore its not too loud. And I thought that is what a cap was for? to supply an amp in the case that there is sudden surges?
advanced_audio 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
Well you have been misinformed on both. That's not the proper way to set gains and not sure if you understand what the gain is for. Read the sticky at the top of the car audio forum page on setting gains for the proper way to set gains. A cap definitely will not help you in this situation more like make it worse because then your alternator, where all power comes from, would be providing power to your amp and vehicle components plus a cap, making it work harder. I know some autozones and O riellys will test out your charging system for free, so maybe look into doing that.
bean72 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

Oh ok, what I did was turn up the volume on the HU as loud as it can go before I get any distortion, Then slowly turn up the gain until the I-E/OPT LED flashes on musical peaks. I just did what the manual had said. I got an amp remote volume control mounted by my steering wheel so I got more control of the volume for my subs. As for my charging system, I will look into it getting tested.  I can't really sink some money into it right away as I am a roofer, and its the winter. I'll just have to keep the volume down for a while. What is the purpose of a cap anyway? And why is there so many mixed opinions on what it does, and if it even works?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic