icon

high level speaker to rca

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steveskal 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
I'm running the speaker level inputs into my JL Audio 1000/1 amp and had to splice in an RCA connector to feed my amp, and for the those that have done this there is maybe 3 strands of the thinnest wire you've ever seen for the positive in an RCA wire, I'm sure this is creating signal loss and resistance, is there any other kinds of RCA connectors that you can connect larger speaker wire to???
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
DO NOT connect speaker level leads to the line-level RCA inputs.  You may blow your amp.  You need to use a line-output converter.
Support the12volt.com
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for your concern, however the JL Audio amp is BUILT to accept both high and low level inputs.
big sexy lac 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
Any local shop has them their very inexpensive,cheaper than replacing your amp.
well?
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
Has what???  I do not need a line out converter, I currently have my amp pounding away using the speaker inputs that go to the factory subwoofer but like I mentioned I would like to use some thicker wire to connect to the RCA's that I spliced to go into the amp.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2008 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
right from your amps manual
To use speaker-level sources, splice the speaker output wires of the source unit or small amplifier onto a pair of RCA cables or plugs or use the JL Audio ECS Speaker Wire to RCA adaptor (XB-CLRAIC2-SW).
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2008 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

steveskal wrote:
I'm sure this is creating signal loss and resistance

And you are sure how?

What does this guy want he hasn't already been told?

steveskal wrote:
I do not need a line out converter, I currently have my amp pounding away using the speaker inputs that go to the factory subwoofer but like I mentioned I would like to use some thicker wire to connect to the RCA's

If it is pouding away, then what is the problem? 

WHY are you willing to spend the $750 on the JL 1000/1 but can't cough up a LOC?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2008 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Small gauge wire is used in good quality RCA’s because it acts less as an antenna for noise. Resistance is not a problem because there is only the smallest amount of current present due to the relatively high input impedance of the amplifier. An LOC will only degrade your signal. If an amplifiers out put is not clipping its in put is not clipping. I wouldn’t worry about damaging your amplifier due to this. As long as you are not attempting to run to low of an impedance at the out put of an amplifier a clipped signal will do it no harm. And yes your amp is capable of a very high voltage input when compared to many other amps on the market. Audiocontrol has an article posted on their site that discusses how this works with their products which indecently use the same type of input arrangement. Balanced/single ended RCA type arrangement.
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

steveskal wrote:

And you are sure how?

steveskal wrote:
I do not need a line out converter, I currently have my amp pounding away using the speaker inputs that go to the factory subwoofer but like I mentioned I would like to use some thicker wire to connect to the RCA's

WHY are you willing to spend the $750 on the JL 1000/1 but can't cough up a LOC?

Is this guy for real??

OK, why would I spend money for an LOC if I don't NEED one?? Jeff in the post before you showed me what I needed and I purchased that, its just what I was looking for RCA's with a thicker wire.

As for how I KNOW I'm getting resistance here, OK maybe I don't KNOW, but if I am going from a 12 guage wire to a couple strands of RCA wire I'd assume there is some signal loss and or resistance and since I'm willing to spend $750 on an amp as yur put it, I am willing to spend the money for the best quality, which means not using stripped thinn RCA's.

greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
steveskal wrote:
sedate wrote:

steveskal wrote:

And you are sure how?

steveskal wrote:

Is this guy for real??

OK, why would I spend money for an LOC if I don't NEED one?? Jeff in the post before you showed me what I needed and I purchased that, its just what I was looking for RCA's with a thicker wire.

As for how I KNOW I'm getting resistance here, OK maybe I don't KNOW, but if I am going from a 12 guage wire to a couple strands of RCA wire I'd assume there is some signal loss and or resistance and since I'm willing to spend $750 on an amp as yur put it, I am willing to spend the money for the best quality, which means not using stripped thinn RCA's.

So, basically, all you are wanting to do is have larger guage RCA's? There really is no need for this, as there is only a VERY small amount of signal being transmitted over an RCA cable. Noise suppression should be more of a concern to you than signal degredation. HOWEVER, if you are set on doing this, you can look here for info on making your own set of RCA's out of some better stuff. I have no idea why the topic of LOC's was brought up...

Hope this helps.

-Matt

-Matt

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic