icon

2000 gmc jimmy remote start problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
runyanzoo 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2008 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

I recently put it a Bulldog Securties remote start kit modle 200B that comes with the bypass module, and I have it all connected with the wiring harness and all I can get it to do is to try to start but it will not turn over, it cranks like it is going to start but dies.  I am concerned I do not have it connected correctly.  I did not connect the wire for the factory security rearm signal output, or the wire that I think is supposed to be connected to the crank low/bulb test or ecm wake up wire  because I do not know where to connect it to.  Also I did not connect the factory security disarm signal output wire too but with the same problem nothing told me which wire to connect it to or where the wire is located at either.   That may be why it tries to start and then the factory alarm kills it, I really do not know.  The other problem is that when I tested the wires coming out of the passlock system for the resistance I got a reading of 9.09 ohm's.  I set the dip switches on the bypass module to the correct setting and when I test the probes on the module to set it to match the switches it will only dial in from 17.50 ohm's to 18.47 ohm's.  I am wanting to know if my reading could be wrong because I am an aftermatket stereo in my truck.  I have a module connected to it so the bose system will still function along with the rest of the things,  but do I need to reinstall the factory stereo to get the correct readings since the factory alarm goes through the factory stereo.........

Thank you very much for you time and any information you might have.

aaronrs4 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2008 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not real familiar with the Bulldog remotestart systems other than that I've never had any good experiences with any of them I've installed. (installed 7, 4 were dead out of the box, 2 died within 3 months, 1, customer sold car one m onth after install, so I dont know if it still worked...)  Heres some stuff you can try though...

1. Make sure the battery in your multimeter is charged fully, then on your passlock wires, return all wiring to factory condition, then start the vehicle. With the truck running, cut the Yellow passlock wire (the security light on the dash will come on) test for the "R Code" (resistance) by placing the red probe from your meter on the Ignition side of the Yellow wire you just cut. Then place the black probe on the Black Passlock wire. Read the meter, this is your resistance value. Be sure to pay attention to the setting you have your meter on, because that reading may actually be more like 9090 ohms.

2. Check your Tach connection. If your start requires you to learn the Tach signal, then it should give you some sort of indication as to whether of not it accepted it as a valid signal.

The wires you didn't connect are probably not necessary  except for possibly the the Factory alarm disarm wire. This wire should be connected to a light green wire that can usually be found in the drivers kickpanel. This wire can be tested by grounding the black lead of your meter and testin the wire with the red probe. Using the continuity setting, turn the key in the door lock to the unlock position and watch to see if the meter reads continuity. If it does, thats your wire. But, before you do this whole process, check to see if you even have a factory alarm. Roll down the window, hit the power lock button on the door and close it, wait about 5min., then reach in the window, unlock the door manually, not with the power button, and open the door. If the horn  starts honking, you've got a factory alarm, and you need to perforn the above steps.

Good luck,

Aaron 

Install it like everyone will see EVERY part of it.
runyanzoo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

It does not require to learn the tach signal at least what the manual says but if it has trouble starting I can connect it still. 

I did test the alarm like you said.  everything works on my truck and I can start it nornally with the key and eveything functions.  But the factory alarm did go off after I locked the doors with the button and then opened it from the inside.  Does this mean I need to connect the Factory Disarm wire the the factory alarm? 

Also I have a volt meter and know very little about it but enought to do some things, like I can read the Ohm's and dial it depending on where the decimal needs to go to see if I get the correct readings.  But what is the setting to check for contnnuity, and secondly what would teh meter read if it does have continuity? 

Thank you for the information so far it was more than I expected.

runyanzoo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I finially got it to work.  I found both of the wires you were talking about but nothing still no matter what so before I gave up I found a new batteery to put in my new multi meter and tested the wires again and got a resistance of 9100 Ohm's and when I tested the bypass module to match the key setting I got a better reading and was able to match the two and it worked.  All the frustration over a bad battery in a multi meter.
aaronrs4 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to hear that you got it to work, Sorry I didn't get back to you on your first reply, but my internet was down... I've seen the issue with the batteries in multimeters being bad and giving faulty readings, thats why I always suggest putting new batteries in thier meter before going any further. I would definately connect the factory disarm wire, otherwise you'll end up setting the alarm off at sometime or another.
Install it like everyone will see EVERY part of it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic