the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Best Buy Rehire Policy?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
OK so about a year and a half ago i worked as an installer at Best Buy about 45 minutes away, and ended up quitting because they wanted to transfer me to a different department. The thing is i had a feeling they were just having me fill in for a few months while they worked on transferring a guy with a bit more experience from another store. The reason being was that i only worked 10-15 hrs a week at MOST! And I basically worked when no one else wanted to, and they never seemed to have any desire to train me in anything new such as remote starts, keyless entry etc.
They just had me doing what i knew how to do, for 3 months. I was always on time, never late or absent, and i was always calling in to see if there was any need for me to come in. My Senior seemed to really like my enthusiasm even though about a week after they got in the more experienced guy, who was also getting like 30 hours a week, they decided they wanted to transfer me and give me a pay cut. It wouldn't have been worth it to drive that far for me for so little. So i told them i declined their offer and decided to quit.
   So that was about a year and a half ago and now a best buy is opening up only 10 minutes away and i applied for an installer position and got an interview for tomorrow at 10 am. I was wondering if you guys thought that i should even mention that i worked there and that i declined the offer for a transfer? Or if i should just keep quiet about it since it was almost 2 years ago?
I am MECP Certified as a basic installer and i'm pretty sure there's not any more than a few in my area that are. it's a real small area but they're making the best buy in the richest town in the county. I'm hoping that i get the job because i loved working at the other best buy and was really disappointed when i got the feeling i was just hired temporarily without me knowing.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Be upfront and honest. Let them know the circumstances and why you decided to quit. They will have you in their records as a rehire. You might as well be the one who brings it up. Let them know you have nothing to hide about the situation. Most people in management will respect you for bringing it up.
zerepdivad 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2008 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
mobile1 wrote:
Be upfront and honest. Let them know the circumstances and why you decided to quit. They will have you in their records as a rehire. You might as well be the one who brings it up. Let them know you have nothing to hide about the situation. Most people in management will respect you for bringing it up.
Yeah that's what i was thinking as well. But the thing is that when they wanted to transfer me they told me Ryan *the guy they transferred from another store* would be taking my hours and they wanted to move me to another department. I declined the offer, and they seemed to understand that i wanted to install. I have no clue as to how they would have that classified in their records. Because technically there was no "2 week notice" Because they said ryan was taking my shifts, more like shift really it was only one day that week. But i would imagine if i was in the records as not eligible for rehire for some reason they wouldn't have called me for an interview, because i assume that would come up when i applied wouldn't it? Sorry for all the questions it's just that i really want the job and am worried as to how to approach the situation. If i get this job i'll be making enough to move out and finally get my own place with a few friends while i'm in school, plus i really enjoyed doing it before aside from all the impatient customers.
zerepdivad 
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
Well i had my interview today, and it didn't come up, and i also had my second interview and once again i didn't get an opportunity to mention it at all. They pretty much said i got the job, and that i should expect a call later on this week. So i guess i'll see how that goes. I'll let you guys know.
perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
speaking from personal experience, I have quit twice and been re-hired twice at two(three total) different BB.  If you are a good worker and leave on good terms then you can get back in no problem.
zerepdivad 
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah that's what i figured as well. I left a good impression on the install senior, and he had nothing but good things really to say about me. Although they did want to transfer me and i denied. Hopefully they didn't take it as an insult and classify me as terminated or something like that, that would make me angry as hell. I guess i'll see what they say when they call.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

So. Do you apply on line? Or do you make an apperance in the store and ask for the boss?

Since my store was lost in the flood....I need something more to do. Sales (prefured) or install.

Whats the desired approach? I have a store 15 min. from my place as well.

zerepdivad 
Posted: January 20, 2008 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

So. Do you apply on line? Or do you make an apperance in the store and ask for the boss?

Since my store was lost in the flood....I need something more to do. Sales (prefured) or install.

Whats the desired approach? I have a store 15 min. from my place as well.

It's an online application. The long annoying ones... just go on bestbuy.com/careers i believe otherwise jsut bestbuy.com and find careers it's not too hard to find.
But anyways as far as my situation goes, They actually haven't called me back so i'm thinking maybe the other best buy i worked at filed me as "terminated" that's the only reason i can think of for them not calling me because both interviews went great and they actually told me to expect a call in the next few days in order to set up training and they had me actually fill some paperwork out. kind of upsetting i was hoping to land the job and keep it for as long as i'm in school until i graduate and get a good job. Oh well i guess on that one.
perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2008 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
Being "terminated" does not matter since I was terminated twice and rehired the third time. All termination means that you no longer work for them. More then likely what has happened is that you got lost in the hell hole that is BB. I know from a ton of experience that BB has probably the worst policies and procedures. This is the main reason why I cannot wait to leave but for you I would just call them again or drop by and talk to the managers and ask them what is up. I was left one time(my second store) waiting close to three months after they "hired" me to when they finally gave me my first shift . Just be persistent an you should be fine.
zerepdivad 
Posted: February 07, 2008 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
OK well a few days ago they called me in for another interview, and that was today. And I got offered a position as an installer, and still did not mention anything about the previous store i had worked at. The reason was not that i was trying to hide it at all it was just that i could not find a good opportunity to mention it. So right now i'm at the point where i'm going to go take my drug test, and bring them 2 forms of id, and i'm good to go. And orientation is on the 16th.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic