noise in sound system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

ice32 wrote:
turning the gains down got rid of it, but i might make sure the rca leads aren't exposed either, thanks

Turning your gains down to get rid of system noise is a bandaid in this case - you have a ground problem that neds to be fixed.

If it were me I would set my gains to match the input signal/desired listening volume, then try and diagnose the ground problem.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

And all this time I have been using the gain control to get rid of noise.  Silly me.

greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

And all this time I have been using the gain control to get rid of noise.  Silly me.

Why would you mis-adjust your system to get rid of alternator whine that can be fixed correctly? If oyu had something like a hiss problem from a processor or line driver, then maybe playing with the gains would be a viable option, but if you have system induced noise from an installation issue, then IMHO fix the issue and set your gians where they are supposed to be...

ice32 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
greenbroncoguy wrote:

ice32 wrote:
turning the gains down got rid of it, but i might make sure the rca leads aren't exposed either, thanks

Turning your gains down to get rid of system noise is a bandaid in this case - you have a ground problem that neds to be fixed.

If it were me I would set my gains to match the input signal/desired listening volume, then try and diagnose the ground problem.

ok, so you've steped up and told me that i have a problem that needs to be fixed. well yeh thats why im asking for "help" to solve that problem, not for people to say yeh you have a problem, so your help would be appreciated.
I tested my ground resistances on both amps and the HU, all measured 0.07.
Anywhere else i should look for a bad ground?
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

^^^ I wasn't trying to be rude, I just gave my opinion on the other method that was given.

I didn't see in any of your responses where you said you had the equipment grounded - are all the amps grounded in the same spot? I realize they probably aren't grounded where the H/U is, but I usually try to ground all my equipment in the same place in the trunk to avoid ground loops...

ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged  
speaker amp is grounded under the passenger seat bolt to the chassis, sub amp is grounded in the "trunk" as you Americans call it, more commonly known as the "boot" here in aussie.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

ice32 wrote:
speaker amp is grounded under the passenger seat bolt to the chassis, sub amp is grounded in the "trunk" as you Americans call it, more commonly known as the "boot" here in aussie.

Yeah - seatbelt bolt is usually NOT considered a proper ground for anything; especially audio equipment. They usually only have a nut on the bottom that is welded to the chassis with a spot weld - two if you're lucky. I would suggest finding another grounding point for that amp inside the cabin to begin with.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
find a spot clear of gas lines or electrical, take some 150 gritt sand paper or a dremel, clean the area about 1.5 inches then use a self tapping screw and a star washer. now you have a very good ground. testing with a DMM to see resistance less than 1 is best.
ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
well its more to the point grounded where the bolt hole goes down, i filed back the paint about a cm each side of the hole put a ring terminal on the end of the ground lead put a washer over the ring terminal and just use the bolt to pull it down tight.
i also found out its grounded through the amp legs as well where i mounted it to the car with self tappers
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic