icon

breaking in two l7 10 inch subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eedukes 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have read the instructions above for how to properly break in a sub and I know it is a debated topic as to whether it is even required, but I am going to do it because Kicker says to do it. Kickers manual says to play them at low volume for about 2 weeks. If I hooked them up to mu home system and played them at low volume for about 20 hours (not continuously) would anything be damaged? Before anyone says anything about impedance, I will wire the voicecoils in series so they produce a 8ohm load each. What do you guys think?
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

no reason that wouldn't work, but if kicker says 2 weeks of low volume why don't you just install them and resist the urge to blast for a while?

the whole break-in thing baffles me, but even by Kicker's recommendation in-service break-in sounds perfectly acceptable.

eedukes 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I know. But when get this stuff in, I wanna turn em loose.
bumflik 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
Actually its been proven that "breaking in" your subwoofers increases its flexibility thus allowing louder volumes. So yeah, make sure you break it in....And I dont think the break in time is supposed to be 2 weeks its something more like 40-50 hours.
bumflik 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
Here chek this out
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/speaker-break-in-fact-or-fiction
Scroll down to the 10" subwoofer chart.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

You can accelerate that break-in period to about an hour if you want to.  Read this short post:  Breaking in subs

I think now that I first read this on www.bcae1.com but I don't know on what page to find it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic