icon

power locks, compustar cm3300

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rollndoe 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
Think I fried my door actuators but how can you tell for sure? I isolated and disconnected them from the relays. Then I applied a volt meter to both of the leads and it showed continuity. Im thinking both leads should not be touching but I could be wrong. Is normal or are they wasted? Thanks for any responses.
jt
spaspecker 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
what you could do, ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, is take the leads from the actuators (i'm guessing blue/brown) and put them across the car battery - hold one of the leads down on the + side and then QUICKLY just touch the other lead on the - side, if the actuator moves in any direction you know it's OK?
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
a little safer is to use your cordless drill's battery, hook it up one way, then the other. usually actuators sound like a machine gun when they get worn out & start to strip.
used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

You can put an ohm meter across the two wires, too, and read the results.  If it is 0 or open then you know you have a problem.  I would guess the resistance to be somewhere between 15-75 ohms.

Drill batteries work great, also.  If you are going to use a car battery install a 3A fuse inline, just to be safe.

I've never heard of anyone frying an actuator, what did you do?

Kevin Pierson
rollndoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Wow the cordless battery trick worked great! I guess the actuators work now im thinking the relays. I got two relays for power actuators hooked up like the12volt.com illustrates and I installed two power locks. Both worked fine until I installed a third one to my van sliding door. I must have done something wrong because it blew a fuse (already changed it) and now   locks don't work. There is an intermittent buzzing sound coming form the relays though. I tested for voltage thru the relay lock triggers but nothing. How often do these thing burn out? Could I have fried the brain?
Wow you guys respond quick!! Went to the garage to mess around with the relays and came back, you dudes had answered me already! Awesome service.
jt
rollndoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, been messing around with my compustar CM3300 and I no longer have any pulse to my door locks. I installed my own actuators and relays and to the two front doors everything worked perfect but when I added a sliding door actuator nothing works. Also I blew a horn/dimmer fuse so I know something grounded out. I tested for power at the outputs when I arm/disarm the alarm and nothing shows. Did I fry my outputs? Can program the aux outputs to pulse the doors? If so, how? Thanks I hate walking around the car to lock all the doors!!
jt
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Test the arm, and disarm outs as well. If these work (and your not using them) you can use these for locks.
rollndoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
I read all the post on how to install a switch for power locks but im still unclear how to proceed. I installed a compustar alarm and (2) lead actuators on all of my doors. I followed the relay diagram on 12volt.com for "Actuators/Reverse polarity" and everything works like a charm. Now I want to install a momentary switch to lock/unlock the doors without using the remote. The "5 Wire Alternating 12 Volts Positive Door Locks" diagram looks like it wont work because I need a ground at the relays somewhere. Let me know if I am wrong or there is a better way. Aloha!!
jt
rollndoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2008 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
I read all the post on how to install a switch for power locks but im still unclear how to proceed. I installed a compustar alarm and (2) lead actuators on all of my doors. I followed the relay diagram on 12volt.com for "Actuators/Reverse polarity" and everything works like a charm. Now I want to install a momentary switch to lock/unlock the doors without using the remote. The "5 Wire Alternating 12 Volts Positive Door Locks" diagram looks like it wont work because I need a ground at the relays somewhere. Let me know if I am wrong or there is a better way. Aloha!!
jt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic