y adapters, batteries, fuses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Well i got a couple questions so here they are
1. When you use a y adapter do you loose any quality and please explain. I just dont understand how you can convert 1 out too 2 without losing any quality or output power. If your confused heres a digram i drew
y adapters, batteries, fuses -- posted image.
2. When using another battery do you need to fuse it? or as long as it is fused on the battery in the engine it will be fine.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

are you splitting it up the signal for an amp or amp(s)? if so no matter what, you will loose some quality but not much.

as for the battery, are you adding an additional battery? batteries should always be fues within 8 inches. If you think your lacking power for your audio system, upgrade your alternator.

advanced_audio 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly are you trying to do? What equipment do you have and what are you trying to accomplish? I need to know more information to be able to help you with your problem. If your Hu only has one preout and your trying to use two amps, you will lose fader control but no signal loss that im aware of, if there is some it wouldn't be very noticable.
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have a six channel amp. I wanna power fronts rears and some 6x9 and im mounting in the way back> My head unit has 3 pre outs front,rear and subs they are all in use. So what i want do to is split the signal with the y adapter to i can input my 5 and 6 channel
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

From www.bcae1.com :

Function:

A y-cable simply provides 2 jacks/plugs from a single input jack/plug. It does NOT send half of the signal to each of the outputs. It sends whatever signal it receives to both of the output connectors.

If your 6 channel amp has line out jacks, plug standard RCA's from those to the amp that will power the 6 X 9's (and set your amp to send the rear signal if you have a choice to make).  That's known as "daisy chaining" amps.  If it doesn't have that common feature, use Y adapters on the RCA's from the head unit's rear preout and send to amp #1 rear and also to the new amp.  The only degradation is because of using multiple connectors, if there is any at all.

A battery is a power storage device.  Any wire that connects to battery positive must be fused close to the battery (source).  Even in a case where one battery is in the front and a second battery in the rear and connected with just one hot wire, the wire must be fused at both ends.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mazzasec 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2008 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
So if im ussing a y adapter i should use it at the head unit instead of at the amp? Here is what i want to do
y adapters, batteries, fuses -- posted image.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
ypu can split the source anywhere. it will not make a differance.
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

generally it's done at the amps to avoid running all the rca's the length of the car.

regarding signal loss using y cables --

think of your hu as an amplifier and your amp inputs as speakers -- your hu preamp outputs are very low impedance, usually no more than a few hundred ohms.  Your amp inputs are VERY high impedance, usually in the area of 10k ohms.  Using y cables on your hu outputs is like running speakers in parallel on an amp.  An amp, however can only drive 2 or 3 speakers in parallel before it becomes unstable.  Your HU preouts can drive many amp inputs in parallel before it becomes unstable.  You'd have to split the signal several times before voltage loss became an issue.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of 6 channel amp are you using?  A lot of them have a switch on the amp to allow you to use only 1 set of inputs to supply all 6 channels.  If we knew what kind of amp it is we would be able to tell you if it has this capability.
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
N2audio I like how you explain the source to amplifier impedance relationship and you are correct. Although I think it should be clarified that whether the y adaptors will have any negative effects or not depends largely on the specific equipment that he is using. Most likely this will be fine but if he is running a low voltage deck and or a low gain amplifier there is a very good chance that he will run into a host of problems. These problems include; high noise floor, inducted noise, and diminished dynamic range. I personally have encountered this problem when using a good amp like an Eclipse or Zapco (that has been engineered to accept a high voltage signal) and using a low voltage deck like most clarions. When you start off with a fraction of a volt of signal potential and then proceed to dice that signal up by using y adaptors you are asking for trouble. Like I said this is very much an equipment dependant question.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic