the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

8 ohm subs, is this setup right?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
auzz 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,  I am new here and have been reading some old posts learning abit about ohms.  This made me think if the purchase I am about to make is a smart one.  Maybe you guys could give me your thoughts on it.  Right now I have a MTX 6001 mono block amp that is 300 watt rms @ 4 ohms running two JL 15w1 150 watt 4 ohm subs one off of each speaker output.  I have the option of replacing these with two Rockford P115S8  200 watt 8 ohm subs.  Those subs are my only option, they dont have any other 15 inch subs and I am not shopping around because I get them at cost+10% and if they were not that cheap I would just keep the JL's.  So would I be right  that the new 8 ohm subs run in parrallel with the amp bridge would be getting 150 watts of power to each sub @ 4 ohms?  And if so will I notice an increase in bass or will it just be cleaner bass? What do you guys think of the 8 ohm subs, are they worth getting, is there a better way to wire them to my amp (besides getting 3 or 4 of them) or am I totally wrong and have no clue what I am talking about? 

I included a little picture  hopefully it is included in the post because I dont see it in the preview.

auzz 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

I guess us rookies cant post picks so here is a link if you want to look.

https://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj304/auzmoa/BothSetups.jpg

n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

sound wise I think it would be a down grade.

The JL's are quality subs, probably comparable to the P1's, or a little better.

More importantly, the way you have it with a 4 ohm sub on each of the amps outputs the amp is seeing 2 ohms, so ~300w to each sub.  That will give you a lot more output than 1/2 the power to similar subs.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

What enclosure are the JL's in? What would the RF's be in? Do you want more SQ over SPL, or the other way?I think it would be a downgrade in SQ at least. Probably output, too.

SQ; I would never consider the RF's to be a good comparison to the JL's.

SPL; The amp will give the RF's about 150watts each. The JL's are getting 300watts each, now. So, all else being equal between the two subs, the RF's would in theory put out 3dB's LESS than the JL's. -I'll explain why. The amp is internally bridged. Meaning, both pairs of outputs are connected together on the inside. It's got 2 pairs just for ease of wiring -so you don't have to cram multiple speaker wires into one terminal. That being said, no matter how you have two speakers connected to it (either one on each terminal, or both on the same), they are ran in parallel in both of your drawings. The 2 4ohm JL's are loading the amp to 2ohms (600watts RMS @ 2ohms) and the RF's would load the amp to 4ohms (300watts @ 4ohms).

I wouldn't. 2 cents spent...

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
n2audio 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
FWIW - MOST mono amps aren't internally bridged.  There are a very few amps that ARE actually 2 mono amps bridged in the same heat sink, but most of them are just one channel amps - one channel in, one channel out.
auzz 
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Alot guys that helps out !  I was a little confused at how the amp and subs were actually wired for 2 ohms at the moment.  I thought that was only if I bridged the channels and ran the subs parrallel.  I never knew about mono amps outputs being connected inside but always wondered why there was two outputs on some.  Thanks for clearing that up it all makes sence now.  The JLs are each in there own 2.25 cubic feet sealed box in the cab of my F-150 and thats were the RFs would have went too. I won't be purchasing the RFs now thanks for the advice.  The JLs have been going for 10 years strong I geuss a few more won't hurt them!  I am going to wait and see what else comes along, anybody know of some good 15" subs to recomend?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic