icon

upgrading remote starters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fst100 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
Greetings, i currently have a Viper 160XV remote starter, but in the market to upgrade to add a security alarm that would have shock sensor capability.  Is it possible if there's a model that i can use that may be as easy as swapping out the current Viper 160XV module with something of a higher model?  again, one that has add'l output for the security/shock sensor capability that i would just need to wire into the car's wiring harness?  otherwise, would i need to get a whole new security kit and have to reinstall all the wires again?  Thanks for your support!
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  

Most of DEI's wiring harnesses are common across models so you could do, for example, a Viper 560XV ( manual here) with minimal wire swapping. Even that swap would take some rewiring, however;  2 or 3 harnesses are used on the 560XV that aren't used on the 160XV, and some of the wires(e.g. horn, 2nd unlock) are in different connectors.

In addition to that, you'd have to wire the siren and the door/trunk triggers regardless - and probably most importantly, you'll have an alarm that's installed in plain sight underneath the driver's dash (I'm assuming since there's no reason a remote start would be anywhere else), meaning you're going to minorly inconvenience the thief who now has to go through the Herculean effort of unplugging the brain in order to defeat your alarm. upgrading remote starters -- posted image.

Your best bet if you're willing to go to the trouble would be to install the alarm properly and mostly from scratch, but leave a few inches of the remote start's wiring where it connects to the car for easier connections - or you could get an alarm w/o a built-in remote start and use one of its auxiliary channels to activate the 160XV (via the WHITE/ blue (-) activation input).

fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  

"or you could get an alarm w/o a built-in remote start and use one of its auxiliary channels to activate the 160XV (via the WHITE/ blue (-) activation input)."

this was what i wanted to do from the start, if i can find any shock sensors that'd be the only thing i'd need in case someone may want to break my car window(s) it'll trigger my viper 160xv and set off the horn, but i cant seem to find any shock sensor sold by themselves that may work with the DEI/Viper brand-even ebay has any.  if  i do find a shock sensor that is compatible with the DEI, i'd only need to wire it to the 160xv's WHITE/ blue (-) activiation input?

fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  

what about this one i found via google-search?

http://www.autotechs.com/cat62.htm

any of these would work?

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

The 160XV doesn't have any provisions for a shock sensor or anything for its security features.  It does have a starter kill and panic feature which can be programmed to go off when the ignition is turned on and the remote has not been used to disarm the 160XV.

The WHITE/ blue (-) activation input activates the remote start, not anything else. I meant that you'd still have to install a full-featured alarm (not just a shock sensor) but you could save some time by not having to essentially re-install a remote start.

Theoretically you could set a shock sensor up with some relays to turn on the 160XV's ignition input, but it'd be simpler and just as cheap to install a complete alarm.

fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
damn, thanks for letting me know chris.  i installed the 160xv and it ws a PITA doing it myself, but saved the labor charges if i brought it to circuit city or somewhere.  sucks i cant have one just added to the existing system.  cant i get the one and have it tapped/splice to the door unlock/lock feature so that whenever i press the security to either arm or disarm it'll also arm/disarm the shock sensor alarm as well?
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

Definitely not...aftermarket alarms don't have external wires that will arm and disarm them.

Incidentally, were you aware that Viper warranties are void when not installed by an authorized dealer? You may want to consider a different brand of alarm.

fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
yes, i was aware that once i installed it myself it voided the warranty.  i understand alarms dont have external wires that arm/disarm, but the main module/brain has wires coming from it that also controls the door functions, horn, and other items.  i was curious if i could tap the shock sensor wire into the wires coming out of the module/brain, ie-dorrs unlock/lock that'll also trigger the on/off of the shock sensor.  but it sounds like something hypothetically wouldnt work in reality, correct?
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
A shock sensor is not an alarm...it doesn't turn on or off...it sends a ground signal to an alarm when it vibrates and will do nothing whatsoever without being connected to an alarm.
fst100 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
ahh i understand.  thanks chris for clearifyingupgrading remote starters -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic