icon

2004 acura tl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

I have a customer that wants to connect his ipod.

Presently he has that fm frequency that picks up the signal , but he does not like that system(sometimes it does not play clear)

I am guessing I have 2 options

If the customer wants to keep the original radio, is there a device out there that he can plug in his ipod and make this work clean and clear. I heard of this device called "DICE ADAPTORS" is this good or is there something else?

the other option is to change the radio, which requires a radio that has ipod ready built in, the radio kit and alot of labour(of what I seen)

any suggestions?

Testing is the key
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

Dice makes gereat products. I have installed a few. I currently use these.

As far as going aftermarket, that's very feasible too with the kit and proper amp integration will be needed. I believe just for the factory sub. 

Oh, and either route you take, have fun pulling the radio, it's a pain in the rear. That whole center console has to go first!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
dice, peripheral both got good products. i have tried both and never ran into problems.  Personally i think the peripheral products are kinda big in size so finding a place to hide is sometimes a PITA.if you need instructions on how to pull out the factory nav, go to metraonline.com and look for your dash kit. click the product install guide and it will shw you how to strip the dash apart.
slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

so your saying dice and neo are good. which ones are easy to install and small enough to tuck away?

thanks

Testing is the key
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
I say replace the radio with one that natively works with the Ipod. This wont cost your customer much more. Be professional, make a profit, make your customer happy. Don’t Band-Aid the situation with adapters if you can possibly perform a valid service for your customer. Remember that you can’t put the customer into your own pocket book. Is this going to cost a lot of money in your eyes or your customers eyes? Customers generally have financial priorities that differ from our own (installers, salespeople).
This is just an out side observation. Only you can make the best call.
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
stick with dice if anything. if you wish to get a dice kit for cheap, visit honda-acura.com and join their forum. they have special pricing for member straight from the manufacture.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

speakermakers wrote:
I say replace the radio with one that natively works with the Ipod. This wont cost your customer much more. Be professional, make a profit, make your customer happy. Don’t Band-Aid the situation with adapters if you can possibly perform a valid service for your customer. Remember that you can’t put the customer into your own pocket book. Is this going to cost a lot of money in your eyes or your customers eyes? Customers generally have financial priorities that differ from our own (installers, salespeople).
This is just an out side observation. Only you can make the best call.

I agree with you to a degree, but the biggest benefit to these adpators is the retention of the factory radio. I find that given the choice most people much prefer the look of the stock radio and it's ease of operation. Perhaps if companies were to produce a radio that didn't look like it belonged in a space ship, people would be more inclined to purchase them (remember the CD-40, CD-45z, CD-400, and CD500 from Nakamichi? Best looking ones to date!)

Take for example the Toyota Prius. You simply cannot change the radio in the vehicle. The iPod intergration unit is the only solution. There aren't too many cars that have this sort limitation but I can still make a good profit on this vehicle and the others I use an adaptor on. I retail the ipod unit for $200 (not going to mention cost) and an hour of labor at $70. How long does the actual install take? Since i have done countless Prius' the total install time is usally about 30 minutes. There is plenty of money to be with these adaptors, you just need to know how.

slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

If I decide to change the radio, is there an original amplifier I have to worry about. I don't feel like blowing the outputs on the aftermarket radio.

By the way tedmond I am trying to find that website (honda-acura.com), can not seem to find it.

I have looked at both sides,

1- change the radio, get the radio kit (which not sure if they have) I seen the 2003, assuming it is the same as the 04.  charge him more on labour, looked at some pics and I can see there is quite a bit of parts to remove to get to the radio.

2 - go ahead with this DICE adaptor, guessing still have to take apart the dash to install this device. before I decide I would like to know how this adaptor connects to the orginal radio. Pics would help, Do they make dice adaptor for the 2004 tl?

as for installation , I am very clean installer, so any way I pick I am always professional. .....I don't use band-aids...LOL.

Testing is the key
tedmond 
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
crap its honda-acura.net. sorry about that.
slicksam 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

well, just checked for a radio kit  for an 2004 acura TL and they don't make it for this year.

I guess now I have no choice to go for the DICE adaptor, now hopefully they make it for this car.

Testing is the key

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic