icon

dei

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jimbob 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
I have a feeling that these be fightin' words to a lot of people on this site. but here it goes anyway since I want to hear from everyone before I make my mind up for good.
from what I can tell from this site a lot of people love DEI products, but from what I can tell, there is nothing special about any of it. I am not saying that they sound like they have problems, but they seem like they have nothing special to offer unless you are interested in a bunch of channels which only a fraction of a percent of the population actually is.
I would consider using a clifford if it was given to me, but I would need to have plenty of room under my dach for all of the boxes that it comes with. Otherwise if I wanted one I would have to take a loan out for it.
As far ad I am concerned I will never touch any DEI products, and I am sure some people out there have to feel the same way.
Jimbob
Beverly Hills
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

You state that there is nothing special with DEI products. True, they don't offer a one of the kind remote start or anything like that BUT they do offer a coast to coast warrenty at any DEI dealer. I belive thats why a lot of people like them. They have one of the best warrenty programs. But beacuse of that they are also kinda pricy, but if you want the best of the best -- your going have to pay.

Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Jimbob, that Clifford alarm you're considering is made and owned  by DEI for many years now.        dei - Last Post -- posted image.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
Jimbob 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  

Thats what I am saying: Clifford is the only DEI product that I would even consider, but it would only be if someone gave it to me.  And even then It is not for sure that I would want to install it. 

If the warranty is all it has going for it, then that sure doesnt say much.  Dont get me wrong, that is nice, but I guess I am looking for from the side of the installer.

I think if I had never heard someone say: "I will never install any other brand of alarm or starter"  I would probably not have even brought this up.  I guess I was just looking to see what people liked about them, or even what people liked about installing them.  Someone mentioned the bitwriter before, but that hardly seems like a good reason to exclusively install DEI products. 

I am also interested in hearing from people who dislike DEI.

Jimbob
Beverly Hills
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
sorry, Jimbob, I missed understood your post, then again I agrre with you.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Jimbob, are those fightin' words? Sorry, I had to say it :-)
Anywho, I haven't installed as many systems as a lot of the people on here by far, but I've installed a bunch. I also will never spend a lot on a system, but who's to say you have to? I think the cheaper you find it, the less you have to worry about the warranty anyway, just because it's not worth that much anyway.
All I know is, I've installed some lesser (in my opinion) models, and have had bad experiences with them. They stop working, the distance sucks, stuff like that. Then I kept hearing about DEI, and I bought a used one very cheap, and it's incredible. Aside from all of the channels, the range is incredible, better than any of the others I've had. That to me is one of the most important aspects (especially in remote starting).
Oh well, I guess it's just from what you experience. I would never spend $300+ on a new alarm either, but that's why they invented ebay:-)
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
From an installer point of view - DEI hands down has the best technical assistance if you ever need it - The techs on their 1-800 line can really help you when you're in a bind
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, if you have a hour or two to sit on hold....
13volt 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
Those techs in Vista, CA. are the best in the biz. I have used them for years. Don't call in around Xmas time. Those guys are extremely busy. DEI and other alarm companies use just a few circuit board makers. Just like VCRs, alot of companies and just a few head makers. DEI has a world market. If you want to try something else, try AST Ultrastarters. I think they have a good product for the $. My customers don't come back because of "I think my Viper is broken" when they accidently put it in Valet Mode. Remote start is quick and painless also. Autopage is another company I like. There are around 3-4 companies using the same unit. They just change the plastics and logos.
Anthony1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2003 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

this is my 1st time using Dei.  I only have it because it was a gift (rattler 300).  All my other alarms in the past were Alpine.  I can not say much about the dei product , but there warranty policies suck.  In Canada anyway( 800 # not acessable from my area).  So far the alarm is good I guess, considering the remote was defective and failed to work after 1 week (no warranty).  They say water damage, but were was the water.? This was the remote I did not use.  THe only reason I noticed it was defective was because the green light on the control was on all the time.  Anyway, other than that the only other problems were with the installers (Krazy Krazy).  They did not install the valet, that was included, never returned the parts that were not used, and put a scratch on my door above the handle.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic