car stereo troubleshooting.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
necirvan 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I own a Mercedes 190E 1990 and would like some pro consulting.
The thing is that my stereo unit (crappy cassete and radio, Mac Audio MTR-400) stopped working so the first thing i did was to check the fusebox, everything checks out there but then my dad told me to check the stereos own fuse, i did and i see no problem with it.
Thinking it was the stereo that simply broke i went happily to buy
Sony CDX-GT210, i was happy and excited to install the new unit. Got everything fixed (wires and connections) but it wont work. i now suspect that there is something wrong with the car and not either of the units but its only the stereo thats not working everything else works fine. (i've checked for loose wires found non of those)
Thank you! car stereo troubleshooting. -- posted image.
// mb 190e 1990
necirvan 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to add if there is anyother posts, forums or websites regarding my subject please redirect me there by adding a link. Thank you again!
// mb 190e 1990
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

When you say not working you imply that the unit will not turn on?...If this is the case, you need to at least use a test light to verify that you have acc. constant 12volts, and a ground (usually brown on Euro cars)

From there, you need to locate your speaker leads, if this car is equipped with the roller fader knob you will need to do some rewiring in the dash.

necirvan 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it wont turn on, no display no sound. And i will check the wires again i really hope i missed something becasue im really getting annoyed.
Appriciate the tip =D
// mb 190e 1990
stuntinonabusa 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
if it has the fade knob on the center console, all you need to do is hook up the front speakers only.  euro engineering at its finest!!!
if at first u dont succeed........ lower ur standards
necirvan 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have checked the live connection and there is one. (reads 12volt hehe car battary) I connected the wires again today and got a sound out of the unit i could hear the cd stuff working inside it but there is still no sound and no display. what to do please help
// mb 190e 1990
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2008 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like it was jury rigged and you get to play a fun game of find the right wire, or by pass what you think are speaker wires and just run new ones. Then read the install direction that is what they are for. If you still having problems do what you should of when you got the new stereo and paid to have it installed right.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic