sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

Where can I read what you've read?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

Steven Kephart wrote:
I just really like the XBL^2 motor

What does this do exactly? Why is this special? What differentiates this from a like - I dunno - a JL 12?

It does just what aznboi3644 says.  Almost all subwoofers on the market use an overhung motor topology which gives a parabolic BL curve to varying degrees depending on design.  XBL^2 is an ingenious design that allows a short coil to transverse two gaps to achieve a large excursion for the given coil height while achieving uniform BL throughout it's movement.  This linear BL results in drastically reduced distortion, especially within the 3rd order harmonic where distortion is most annoying to the human ear.

You mention JL, and throughout their line they use a standard overhing motor.  However with the W7 they modify the overhung design by drilling holes in the pole piece below the gap, greatly reducing stray flux and achieving flat BL.  That sub has very low distortion as well. 

Here's some tech papers about it:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2TechPaper.pdf

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2ExecSummary.pdf

And here's some DUMAX reports of different subwoofers to show their BL curves:

ID MAX: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/IDMAX.pdf  This uses a standard motor topology

Audiomobile MASS: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DUMAXMASS2012.gif  This one uses an underhung motor topology

Digital Designs: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DDW6.pdf  This one uses an evenhung motor topology

JL W7: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/JL-10W7.pdf  Notice how flat the curve is.

Brahma: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/BrahmaDumax.pdf  As you can see there is little change in BL throughout excursion.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

Okay Steven - I've read through a bunch of that stuff - very informative.  I appreciate you taking the time to post up so many links.

Steven Kephart wrote:
which gives a parabolic BL curve to varying degrees depending on design.  XBL^2 is an ingenious design that allows a short coil to transverse two gaps to achieve a large excursion for the given coil height while achieving uniform BL throughout it's movement.  This linear BL results in drastically reduced distortion,

So the idea is then - just to try to distill from that tech paper and exec summary - is that this XBL motor structure is a mechanical change to the layout of the motor which produces a more controlled BL throughout the range of excursion - which keeps response very controlled throughout a range of output levels and frequencies?

When you say "parabolic BL curve" what you are saying is that the woofer's BL changes with output and excursion - producing distortion at higher excursions vis-a-vis the traditional, overhung motor structure of a standard woofer?

Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

So the idea is then - just to try to distill from that tech paper and exec summary - is that this XBL motor structure is a mechanical change to the layout of the motor which produces a more controlled BL throughout the range of excursion - which keeps response very controlled throughout a range of output levels and frequencies?

The first part is true.  But response in reguards to output and frequency response will be effected by other aspects of the speaker design as well, along with the enclosure used.  The XBL^2 motor will have some effect though due to it's higher excursion capability allowing for lower frequency extention and lower harmonic distortion resulting in less unwanted signal above the fundamental frequency.

sedate wrote:

When you say "parabolic BL curve" what you are saying is that the woofer's BL changes with output and excursion - producing distortion at higher excursions vis-a-vis the traditional, overhung motor structure of a standard woofer?

A parabolic BL curve refers to the changes in BL with excursion specifically.  It is the change in BL when the cone moves from rest, whether forward or backward.  You can see this from the measured BL at different points of excursion on the links I posted above.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
so what is the rms power handling of the Shiva X 12???
if I can sell my amp I am definitely getting one of these
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
so what is the rms power handling of the Shiva X 12???
if I can sell my amp I am definitely getting one of these

From the application notes, that thing looks like it'd take about anything if it was enclosed properly.  I wish I had the space for these they look so vicious - they'd be impossible in my car.

Why no 10-inch version Steven?

Steven Kephart 
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

Power handling as always will be application dependant.  The subwoofer page offers different applications and recommended power handling capabilities for each. 

Steven Kephart 
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

Why no 10-inch version Steven?

The Shiva-X and Tempest-X are both based off of the original Shiva and Tempest subs that were so successful at Adire Audio.  Adire didn't offer a 10" verson of those subs, so none is offered now.  Plus 10" subs really don't sell as well as the other sizes. 

efroemms 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2008 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
My personal favorites have always been the Image Dynamics IDQ12 and the JLW6. The W6 is a bit more spendy, but the IDQ12 is right around $200. Excellent sq and plenty of grunt. Man, I miss my IDQs
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic