icon

viper lcd transmitter 5900

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ikethegoalie 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2008 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ok guys i got a bit of an odd problem, when I remote start the car and get in and do a key takeover and hit the brake, or even when i just get in an hit the brake, the remote starter shuts down, but the transmitter still says that the car is running, only when I try to lock or unlock the doors does it register that the car is off.
just started doing it today
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
Mine does that too. I think its a pretty common problem with the 5900s. I haven't cared enough to try to look at it, but if I come across something I'll post it.
phonymike 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
maybe get in the car (while it's not running), arm it, then stick the key in and turn it to ON. should trigger the alarm and the transmitter should say IGN as in someone's hotwiring your car. if it doesn't, then check the ignition wiring, because the key takeover happens when the brake is pressed after the key is in. the brake is obviously still taped, so hopefully it's a wire that came loose on the ignition.
cmk0808ny 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 4:39 AM / IP Logged  
its when you program the remote. look at the owners guide with the p button on the back of the remote.
ikethegoalie 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
if th ignition wire came loose th car wouldnt start...
so it might be a transmitter programming thing, that makes sense i'll take a look tonite and post something here, thanks guys.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
not the ignition wire, the ignition 12v input into the unit. Its used to program and SENSE that the car is being hijacked (hotwire) or you stuck a key in
ikethegoalie 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
ahh good call ill check that this weekend... tomorrow...
phonymike 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
you can also check the shutdown diagnostics, it tells you why the car shut down by blinking the led a certain amount of times. my car would crank real quick then die. I had a battery backup with trigger hooked to the hood pin (someone pops the hood or cuts the battery wire it'll show up as hood on the remote). I had the ignition wires hooked up to a separate 6awg wire from under the hood, so nothing was taped into the factory ignition wires on the steering column. when the car cranked, it sucked all the juice and the battery backup though the power was cut, so it triggered the hood pin input which kills the car. shutdown diagnostics said hood pin switch. so I threw the battery backup trigger on along with the shock sensor and haven't had a problem since.
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
I want to make sure I understand the original post. The remote starter works perfectly, I.E. you remote start the car, insert the key, hit the brake, car stays running and remote starter shuts off. The problem is the screen on the remote says it is still remote started, right? It will show the little puff of smoke out of the tailpipe on the the screen and the only way it shuts off, is if you hit lock or unlock, right?
A lot of the replies to this are ways to tell why the starter isn't working. The remote starter IS working, just not the 2-way display. Reason I want to clarify this, is this has happened a few times to me recently.
ikethegoalie 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
correct mobile1, remote start functions 100% perfect, it just does not send a signal back to the remote when the starter shuts off during key takeover, a couple things:
When I shut the truck off from the remote, the puff in th tailpipe goes away and transmitter beeps.
When I do a key takeover and hit the brake, puff does not go away, transmitter does not beep
When I do a key takeover and hit the brake AND hit the unlock (or lock) buttons on the transmitter, transmitter beeps and puff goes away.
another thing I did notice is when the ignition is on the truck typically locks the doors then the remote start immediately unlocks them again. It has not done this since the problem arose, during key takeover car doors lock and do not unlock automatically. I was thinking about the ignition sense wire being loose, but I checked it and it is fine, I have it spliced into the heavy gauge ignition wire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic