icon

avistart 4000

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electraglide66 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
   I'll try to be brief.Wife bought me  an Avistart 4000 about a year ago.It was installed by Best Buy (8 hrs) Got it home and was so busy playing with the remote start function,I didn't realize I had lost all control of my doorlocks including the factory pushbuttons in the door. Back to Best Buy the next day (another  8 hrs)  went to go pick it up and now the fun starts. Installer tells wife(I couldn't go )  they can't fix it! Wife very unhappy. They tell her to take it to a Ford dealer and they would pay for it to be fixed. Ford guy says he ain't gonna touch it cause it's aftermarket.E-mailed Ditected who made it and they tell me it's an installer issue.Now we have a big Catch 22.Sometimes the buttons on the door sill try to come up but never make it.I can hear relays closing etc.   Oh yeah,I went to HH Gregg who also sells the unit  and asked who did their installation.They say they can't find anybody worth a hoot and are going to stop selling them. Basically,I need help. This is on a 2001 F-150 and I should mention that the start function works fine but I still would like to control my door locks. Thanks for listening.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

After using the search function it looks like older ford door motors go out easily.  It may be that the motors just went bad.  Take the car back to best buy and have them remove the system.  After they remove the system then you should take back the truck to the dealership and have them repair it.  Most likely it is the motors.  Depending on the model it could be that the wiring for the door locks may have been done wrong or just that it went out.  Not saying that the installer damaged it but non the less they did say to take it to the dealership and they would pay for it.  Their should be no reason why the dealer would not want to charge you!!! isn't that weird.  If they give you a hard time then just take it to the other Ford dealership.  Good Luck

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
I have replaced quite a few Ford actuators that behaved like you are describing. I doubt if this is a problem with the Avital.
As Enice already stated, it is more than likely your door lock actuators that are bad. With factory keyless the aftermarket system needs only to send a negative trigger to activate the factory relays. This is the most basic of hookups for an installer and there is no need to cut any of the factory wiring so I doubt if the installer really caused the problems you are having. It is more than likely that the actuators were already close to dying and playing with them pushed them over the edge. The actuators in the full size trucks in that era are known to go bad.
I do not see why the dealer would not offer to replace the actuators, it is not a warranty item so they would be charging you to do the job.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
did they connect to the locks with the avital? best buy sells the avital 4000 as a remote start ONLY. by the time you pay the additional labor to connect the avital to powerlocks, you're better off (and cheaper) to get the remote start/keyless model (viper 160xvr). and yeah same thing as stated before. i have a ford explorer with bad factory actuators. they wents south while i was in georgia 1.5 years ago. another guy i was in class with had a 2000 f150 and his locks were doing the same thing.
one question though, the locks have been like this for the past year?
ralphtonka 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
why not replace the doorlock actuators w/aftermarket? easy 2 wire connection, mount motor, use locks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic