icon

avital 4100 power locks in 07 sierra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckystrike39 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
Man there's an awful lot of info in here. Looks like I come to the right place. Did some searches, but didn't come up with an issue like mine:
Had an Avital 4100 remote start with power locks installed in my '07 New Body Style Sierra. It's a Work Truck, and did not come with either, so this was a total aftermarket install. Everything works absolutely perfectly.
My installer left a wrapped "cable", with two momentary switches; 1 locks the doors, the other unlocks. Two wires to each switch, black and grey. I suppose I could drill two small holes in an inconspicuous place and mount those swtiches.
I'd like to pop these switches off, and install a regular lock button somewhere convenient.
Is it possible to just get a lock switch, say off of an older GM, and its harness, and hook these wires up? It doesn't have to be fancy, or illuminated, I'd just like a "finished" look.   I'm also assuming that a swtich is a switch, no matter what it looks like. If it's two momentary switches, or 1 rocker switch, it should make a difference, correct? One black & grey to the "lock" side, and the other black and grey to the "unlock" side?
The switch I'm looking at fits a 90-94 C/K trucks, and has 5 lugs on the back. I assume 2 for lock, 2 for unlock, and 1 for illumination.
I have the install manual but it makes no real mention of these switches. And advice or ideas?   
I appreaciate all the help I can get.
Thanks
Rick
ralphtonka 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2008 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

easiest way is to get a momentary rocker lockswitch from import vehicle or base model 07or older gm classic. then test your 4 wires , 2 will be constant gnd, others will lock or unlock with gnd pulse

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
Yes it will be possible to use a 5 wire switch as a 3 wire(which is basically what you will have if you combine the two switches). Use the switch of your choice...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
luckystrike39 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies... I sort of figured that a switch is a switch, just looking for a little reassurance.
Thanks
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Your installer did you wrong--- by not using the 5-wire actuators for the door-locks--- these are soooooo nice-- they have the switches built into them- so that when you physically move the manual door lock slide- all doors lock or unlock-- or when you use the key to open the door- all locks lock or unlock as needed.  There is NO need for a switch to be mounted anywhere- it is incorporated into the lock/unlock manual slide-- much, much simpler and convenient and professional.  These can also be activated by a keyless entry remote- or a remote starter brain.......why anyone would use any other method is beyond me......
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
luckystrike39 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
I can't even venture a guess, as I'm pretty clueless about this sort of stuff. I had them turn off all the bells and whistles, i.e., auto lock when you put into drive, etc. I wanted it to function like my old chevy truck - power locks, but no "automatic" anything (if that makes any sense).
I appreciate you guys' input on all of this. I've spent alot of my day here at work surfing this site, and gaining quite an eduction.
Thanks!
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2008 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

brcidd wrote:
Your installer did you wrong--- by not using the 5-wire actuators for the door-locks--- these are soooooo nice-- they have the switches built into them- so that when you physically move the manual door lock slide- all doors lock or unlock-- or when you use the key to open the door- all locks lock or unlock as needed.  There is NO need for a switch to be mounted anywhere- it is incorporated into the lock/unlock manual slide-- much, much simpler and convenient and professional.  These can also be activated by a keyless entry remote- or a remote starter brain.......why anyone would use any other method is beyond me......

I can think of one reason not to use 5-wire actuators - the manual lock location.  I would definitely prefer a separate switch on any late model GM vehicle with the dinky little locks at the back of the door.  If the locks are located by the inside door handle I agree with you that 5-wire actuators are the best thing since sliced bread avital 4100 power locks in 07 sierra - Last Post -- posted image..

Incidentally I'm kind of picky about doorlock location due to my '04 GTO, which has the absolute worst power lock setup of any car in history - central locking with locks at the rear of the very long coupe door, which involves gymnastics when trying to unlock it, and to make things worse the guy who designed the BCM logic circuits which control the locks was evidently a crack-addled drunk - because the central locking randomly ceases to operate from either door. This is unfortunately not a defective part on my car - many posts on ls1gto.com complain of the same design flaws.

Hopefully soon I'll have my own switch there going to the key cylinder wires which at least seem to lock/unlock all the time. Anyway, I apologize...off topic a bit.

luckystrike - you may also want to look at SPAL. They make switches for doorlock kits, some of which I think might look better with your truck's interior than the older style GM switch.  I would suggest a late-model GM lock switch from a junkyard, but they definitely won't switch your aftermarket setup.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
luckystrike39 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2008 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. I'll give SPAL a try. It's too darn cold right now to do anything, except wait for the temp to rise.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic