icon

amp problems feedback coming through sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beefey 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

I just changed out the shock mounts in my 98' 3-series bimmer so I had to take out my amp and when I put it back together this is what I am dealing with...

My Equipment:

1. Audiobahn 840w RMS amp (sorry not sure of exact model #)

2. Alpine 10" Type R' Sub wired in parallel

Everything worked fine when I took it out now when I put it back in these are my symptoms, I get a constant base tone from the sub something like a feedback sound from a microphone but constant low tone... even with the stereo deck off it does this.  When the deck is on you dont get any music through the subwoofer.So does this mean:

1. My amp is shot

2. RCA cables have interferance coming through them (they are bad)

3.  Sub is shot.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

Pioneer radio????

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Possible loose ground under the hood, or at amp. And possible Pioneer RCA issue like stated above.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
dukill 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

I am having problems with my subs also.   They start to distort / pulse in and out very hard and very slow whenever I turn up the volume on the headunit.  The reason I posted was because I am running a Pioneer Avic D3 and I was wondering what the problem with the RCA is that you are refering to.  I have replaced the RCAs and I think I have a pretty good ground at the Amp.  I also tried a different amp and it did the same thing.  It couldnt have anything to do with the remote wire would it? I am running the D3 with a MTX 4250D amp and 2 MTX 8000s 10"s.  Thank you for your time.  I dont mean to hijack the thread I guess i was wondering if you could tell me what the issue is with pioneer RCA outputs.

i am an idiot 
Posted: January 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

Try taking a length of small wire, strip both ends of it.  Ground one end, and touch the other end to the shield of the RCA cable that goes to the amp in question.  If this makes a pop and then the amp starts acting properly, then yes this is your problem.  It is not an easy internal fix on the D3.  This is just as effective and easy to do.   The other end of the wire in this picture needs to be grounded.  This needs to be done behind the radio, not at the amp.    Picture won't upload at the moment  I am going find a thread with the pic in it.

stuntinonabusa 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2008 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
definitely sounds like bad rca inputs at the amp or outputs at the head unit...   my guess would be the amp....
if at first u dont succeed........ lower ur standards
dukill 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you guys.  I followed the directions and picture sent to me by i am idiot and everything is working perfectly.  My solder job was not as nice as the picture but it is solid and works.  Is this common on pioneer radios?  I love my D3 I now only have 3 complaints the rca deal, ipod interface, and I can barley get it in my truck dash because there is so many damn wires but just minor compliants.  Do you guys usually solder your wiring harness connections?  Thank you agian you saved me hours of trouble shooting and cusing.

i am an idiot 
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

Glad to help   Let's see if the picture will upload today.  Just in case somebody else stumbles across this. 

amp problems feedback coming through sub -- posted image.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  
looks like a cold solder joint =D but i have tried that befor and it sure does work. why does this only happen with pioneer? i assume they would fix the problem in their newer decks but just recently installed a 4900IB and still got noise.  
dukill 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
What do you mean cold solder?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic