icon

690xv ignition wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12voltuser 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2008 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing a 690 xv into a 1964 Ford Falcon (with some 1965 Falcon upgrades, such as an alternator and horn without a relay).  I am wondering about the starter kill relay.  I have a green wire from the relay that is supposed to go to ignition.  I also have a yellow wire in the main harness that is supposed to go to ignition.  Can I just tie these two together and connect them to the pink(resistance wire) / red-green wire which is an ignition-switched wire?  Why does Viper not just ties these together initially?  Thanks...
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2008 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  

I'm assuming you are talking about the pre-wired starter kill relay - the one that has large green and black wires and small orange and yellow wires going to it.

The green and black wires should only be used to interrupt the starter wire from the switch(the one that gets power to crank the car). They should never be used on an ignition circuit.

The yellow wire from the starter kill relay and the yellow ignition input to the alarm both will go to the same place - the ignition wire from the switch.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
the12voltuser 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2008 at 3:55 AM / IP Logged  
OK, I'm still confused... Yes, you are correct about which wires I am referring to.  I am going to interrupt the wire that goes from the key (the IGNITION-ON wire) with the green wire in the relay and it will go through the relay and reconnect through the black wire in the relay.  Basically I am just cutting into the ignition wire and patching it with the relay.  I think that the yellow wire from the relay also goes to the same place as the green.  I would tie these together... Is this correct?  Sorry for the confusion, I just don't want to fry the alarm! If I can attempt to diagram it, normally I have KEY---------+COIL   for the alarm I think it should be , KEY-----relay(green)---relay(black)----+COIL (and the relay(green) is also tied into the relay(yellow)).  Thanks
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Not the ign. wire...... the starter wire. There will be 2 connections made to the starter wire AFTER ITS CUT one connection to each half.

They will be called "key side" and "starter side" Thats all of the conections made on the starter wire. Now.... the ign wire could have 2 connections.

One to trigger the starter kill relay, and one simply for an ign. input to the brain.

the12voltuser 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2008 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks...I get it now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic