the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Diagram for Wiring 1 Capacitor to 2 Amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdbnkc 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

Is this the correct wiring for  1 capacitor to 2 amps?

Diagram for Wiring 1 Capacitor to 2 Amps? -- posted image.

mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
As long as the Cap is wired in line before you split the power you should be fine.
WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
mdbnkc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply, I thought it was right, but I just wanted to make sure before I did any cutting of wires. Thanks again.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
If it applies to your setup, just install the cap directly before the subs amplifier.  There's no use connecting it to the mid/high range amp.  And if so, the distro would be installed before the cap.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mdbnkc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
So let me get this straight. Put one lead from the Distro to the capacitor ( and then to the sub amp), and the other lead to the mids/highs amp? I am powering 440 watts off the mids/highs you think this will be sufficient without the cap as well? Another quick quesiton about caps, Is it better to have a higher rated cap than what your pushing @ your amp, or could this harm the amp? for instance capacitor is 3 FARAD, but the Hifonics Brutus 1606d is 1600 watts (says rms but probably peak).
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

alright, you highs and mids wont even draw enough to dim your headlights. do this, Having a  larger rated cap for your amp WILL NOT damage it in any way, its better for the mp, but to be honest the cap doesnt do much. wire it up like so

GROUND from cap to clean/bare metal on chassis. Ground your other amps as the SAME spot on chassis

12v comming from battery, place DISTRIBUTION BLOCK and run 2 12v wires from it. One goes to 12v in for the CAP and the other wire from DISTRIBUTION BLOCK goes to the SUB AMP.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

tedmond wrote:
GROUND from cap to clean/bare metal on chassis. Ground your other amps as the SAME spot on chassis

Drill a hole for each ground so that you don't have to stack connections.  But, yes, keep them all grouped together about an inch apart.

wrote:
12v comming from battery, place DISTRIBUTION BLOCK and run 2 12v wires from it. One goes to 12v in for the CAP and the other wire from DISTRIBUTION BLOCK goes to the SUB AMP.

Disagree.  Place the cap in parallel with the subs amp, directly before it, but grounds are separate as talked about above.  The distro should be placed before the cap, and its job is to separate sub wire and mains wire.  Use as heavy gauge as distro output will allow to the cap/amp, and it really should be the same gauge as the main power wire.

mdbnkc wrote:
So let me get this straight. Put one lead from the Distro to the capacitor ( and then to the sub amp), and the other lead to the mids/highs amp?

Yes.

wrote:
I am powering 440 watts off the mids/highs you think this will be sufficient without the cap as well?

Yes, mids won't pull the sudden current that sub bass will.  Use the best brand quality cap that you can afford if you insist on adding it to your system.  A low ESR and quality workmanship in build is more important than farad value.  Try not to introduce a problem that doesn't need to be there.  See thread: Capacitor.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
mdbnkc 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, thanks a lot for the info, I'll be installing my new equiptment within the next week, So i'll let you all know whats up. Thanks a lot for the VERY valuable information everyone.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic