icon

key in a box bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
red85 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have been battling with some issues with the TB-350 module lately.  I find that specifically on Ford vehicles that the loop that goes around the key cylinder has to be fiddled with a fair bit to get it right and woking reliably with the remote starter.  Could I just do away with the loop and tap into the tx/rx leads on the immobilizer lead?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

it should work if it fits right around the key cylinder. Make sure you had your wires connected properly. I dont suggest you cut into the tx and rx wires because its not a DATA bypass not requiring the key. Its basically sending a signal to the rf ring. there is only two wires, when yu remote start see if the box clicks. if so then its working properly.

red85 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2008 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
I'm just wondering about getting a better signal not doing away with the bypass module altogether.  Wouldn't the tx/rx wires carry the exact same signal as the wires from the loop need to carry back to the bypass module?
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  

red85 wrote:
I'm just wondering about getting a better signal not doing away with the bypass module altogether.  Wouldn't the tx/rx wires carry the exact same signal as the wires from the loop need to carry back to the bypass module?

No, the tx/rx carry data signals from the transceiver ring to a module somewhere else in the car. Since your bypass module puts out just an RF signal from the key it can't be wired directly into them.

On any car with transponder keys, the RF signal from the key has to be converted to some other kind of signal in order to enable fuel/spark/cranking.  On European cars(BMW and VW I know for sure are like this, I really haven't done others), that signal is converted somewhere away from the key cylinder, and the wires to the antenna ring can be tapped into with a key-in-box type bypass.

On most American and Asian cars, they RF signal is converted to data right at the antenna ring (this is why it has ignition and ground going to it). 

Also, I've found on Fords that a data bypass is far superior - the cars are really sensitive to how the ring from an RF bypass is mounted and tend to not see the key when it's cold.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
red85, where abouts do you live? if your in the GTA i suggest you go and pick up a data bypass for 30 bucks, no keys, its all DATA so it will work even when its cold, and yea it will save you time.
red85 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

tedmond wrote:
red85, where abouts do you live? if your in the GTA i suggest you go and pick up a data bypass for 30 bucks, no keys, its all DATA so it will work even when its cold, and yea it will save you time.

I'm in Kitchener.  The only reason I ask is because the company I work for only wants to bring in the key style bypasses.  I think I will try to get them to get the data bypass style if they're cheap enough.  I looked at iDatalink's ADS TBSL FM for Ford vehicles, but it's special order for me.  I'll see what I can do to get them to bring them in.

perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
I would definitly recommend the idatalink modules for any car(except maybe some dodges) cause they work like a charm all the time once you figure out the little qurks.
red85 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
For the GM's I generally use the iDatalink ADS TBSL GM and it's pretty decent.  Only thing with the iDatalink modules is that for some reason, I always end up resetting them 4-5 times before they cooperate.  I'll look into getting an ADS TBSL FM ordered and use that on the next Ford that comes through the door.  It's really too bad that I can't just tap into the tx/rx wires though. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic