icon

subs shutting off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
runner4lifetc 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  

I am currently running 2 Pioneer Premier TS-W3001D4's with a Hifonics BXi 2006D amplifier.  The amplifier puts out 2000 watts at one ohm and  I am powering it with scosche(walmart) 5 gauge power wire in my 96 civic.

When I play any song my subs will cut out during random points in the song.  Usually the higher my bass boost is the faster/more frequent times the subs cut out.  Also turning up the volume will do the same.

I have checked the wiring multiple times and even got out of the car while its running to check it.  I see no flaws in the wiring or wires.  Prior to the subs cutting out I was blowing 100 amp fuses.

dragon breath 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
check the main power voltage at the amp with a dmm. most amps have a protection circuit that shuts it off if the voltage drops below 10.5 volts or so to prevent damage to the amp.
dragon breath
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
4 gauge you mean? also to be punching that much 2000w, your stressing your alt out nicely. it could be in protection mode as dragon mentioned or the amp or deck is clipping. this in the long run can damage your speaker/sub and fry the amp.
memphisgod 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
I have had problems with and amp shutting off befor. I had to rewire the subs to series to get less pull from the amp. it will see less and have just a tiny bit less bass. But it should not shut off. hopefully. if not dragon mentioned that the voltage drops below 10.5 volts you need to invest in a capacitor to keep the voltage constant. and perhaps a new battery you sound like your drainging you first really well.
Memphis Gods Need Some Mojo
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

The most likely causes are 1) gain too high, 2) impedance too low, 3) electrical system being overloaded.  How did you set the gain?  What is the impedance load on the amp?  What is your system voltage during operation?

And no, you do NOT need a capacitor!

Support the12volt.com
runner4lifetc 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

I have come to realize that my deck was the problem.  It just randomly shut off and then the cd player no longer works. Oh yeah..I replaced the battery and tested the alternator and it wasnt the problem.  They were both at 13.3 V and the wire is five gauge. 

Here is the link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4213089 

The gain is half way up and the impedance is a third of the way up.  I think that the subs are drawing too much power and decide to stop running.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I would for sure upgrade that wire, there no way in heck that your 5 gauge wire can properly feed that amp without acting as a choke. I would run 2 gauge or 1/0 gauge, then have a fused distrobution block within a few feet of your amp and run 2 gauge from there to the amp. And of course upgrade the ground wire to a larger wire also.
You are no doubt choking that amp of current that it needs.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
5 gauge wire is way too small for that amp.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic