icon

using non name brand amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
memphisgod 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
I use a SPL 3400 watt amp and it has more rms watts than most amps with the same total power and is cheaper. I have no problem but i want to know is there anything that a non-name brand does not have that a name brand has. and does anyone use any spl. I also have a memphis m3mojo 12 build my own boxes and drive a chevey express 1500 van I live in key west FL and i pound harder than most of the other drivers down here. YA BABY YA
Memphis Gods Need Some Mojo
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2008 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
well cheap amps cant take high preamp voltages from decks. Low end will be 2 - 4volts and good amps can take up to 8. also setting, constant power rail will help. Most amps get hot or stressed when it doesnt receive enough current or the driver impedance is too low. unlike JL, they have an awsome power rail that will work with any voltage well min being 12 and best at 14.2 more or less.
memphisgod 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I am aware of the pre amp voltage intake whatever but it is max of 8 volt and it has the subsonic goes down to 15 hertz. I used it for three subs the SPL 2200 watt dual 1 ohm voice coil sub 12 and two 12 m3 memphis subs never shut off never heated up nothing i was amazed. very cheep but i get it at warehouse price its worth 850 iget it for 360 and always was able to have good response. i have the deh-p680mp deck from pioneer premier very nice make my own high level imput wires and i pound harder than anyone who has the JL subs, using just one 12 and a large box serves to be a good choice for me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
The problem with most off-brand or knock-off amps is they tend to output very large distortion percentages, and the ratings on most of them cannot be believed.  Plus since they are made in cheap factories in China they don't tend to last very long.  But hey, if you can live with the high distortion values (and if you don't let yourself get fooled into believing SPL's inflated power claims) then knock yourself out!  So what if they stop working after a few months, they are priced to be disposable.
Support the12volt.com
big sexy lac 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Okay here is my 2cents, for example I put in an aio flipdown from DIRECTED which is top of the line right? So after I didn't put in a dvd right away a lil dvd sign was bouncing around changing colors. So then a few weeks later I saw a power acoustic head unit doing the exact same thing, now power acoustic is said to be garbage,flea market junk right. So why are both high and low end china made stuff acting the same? How different can they be? Its all made in china
well?
memphisgod 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Well I have used the name brand amps alpine, kicker, kenwood, jl, rockford. But it really does not have any problems and i wouldnt lie to you. It handled three subs at jaw dropping decibels one 2200 dvc 1 ohm and 2 m3 12's. never had any problem. the distortion there was none and i have a highly tuned ear. People think im nuts for spending so much time with these speakers and wiring things and making boxes. Changing stuff adjusting fanigleing. i just want to know why people use only name brand stuff and why not try. i did. it is 15 htz. one channel it really does 2600 rms watts at 12.2 volts. i believe it and i have seen it. now for the 2200 watt dvc 1 ohm 12 by spl i spit on it it has a aluminum stamped cone and when you get enough watts to it it cracks but not from the amp. and i put that thing through some crap. about two years of everyday use until my friend well lets say hes an idiot but he blew it. now i steped up to the mojo and a bigger amp i have pioneer premier and 2 guage wire i havent gone to school yet but have big plans. stereo school in houston. but I think i know my stuff so far and the spl amps are very good they have several series and have gone far i get them from Hifisoundconnection.com very cheep brand new.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic