icon

Which battery setup should I do?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ben51925 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2003 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

First off, Im running 2 american bass XD1000s and a JBL component amp.  The alternator and battery are stock but I have a batcap 800 in the back of my explorer.

My question is, should I just keep what I have now, switch the battery under the hood to a 1000 cca wal-mart battery and keep the batcap, or sell the batcap and just go with something like a yellow top or svr 80 under the hood?

I would kind of like to go with just one battery, because of USACs new rules for stock class, but I will probally get whatever has the most power.

IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2003 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  

When dealing with optima batteries, I recommend keeping them the same, meaning under the hood and in the back are all red tops or all yellow tops.  Just something to consider.

-Cy

donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
I would just drop an optima yellow top under the hood.
pilot_chris 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2003 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely a yellow top but you should also seriously consider putting in a high output alternator to keep it charged up.
95 Cavalier 2.2L
High Output Alternator
Rockford 1 Farad Punch Capacitor
JL 500/1 for RF Punch HX2 500 watt RMS subs
MTX 4244 4 channel for Polk & Pioneer door and rear deck speakers
CorradoG60 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
ben51925 wrote:

First off, Im running 2 american bass XD1000s and a JBL component amp.  The alternator and battery are stock but I have a batcap 800 in the back of my explorer.

My question is, should I just keep what I have now, switch the battery under the hood to a 1000 cca wal-mart battery and keep the batcap, or sell the batcap and just go with something like a yellow top or svr 80 under the hood?

I would kind of like to go with just one battery, because of USACs new rules for stock class, but I will probally get whatever has the most power. 

Personally I have used a Wal-Mart brand battery. I bought it in 1996 and had it in my Old honda for 4 of it's last years with a PPI A600 and A204. With the stock alt. I put in a larger battery, a 925 CA / 725 CCA. And let me tell ya it was quite the rugged battery. I punished the system, I had baough a new car a year ago, and the Honda sat for a little less than a year. Battery was dead and out of water. I filled the battery up, did a equilizing charge. ANd bammo, damn thing is still good. Really what I look for in a battery is manufacture, Weight (Usally the heavier the better), and it's Reserve capacity. 

Honestly I would say sell the Batt cap, use that money for the biggest darmn wWal-Mart battery under the hood. That will require you to measure your battery tray and look at the biiger batteres dimentions to squeeze in the largest you can safely. Then any extra cash you have I would look into getting a bigger alternator. If you have a base madel, or a minimal options installed on your vcehicle. You could possible see if there is a larger alt for your car. Like my honda didn't Have A/C, which mine was equipped with a 50A alt, and I got the alt. for a Honda with A/C which was a 60A alt. Don't laugh cause every amp counts and it only cost $10 more for the 60A alt. than the50A.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic