icon

dei viper 791xv no valet switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontmitchell 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
I had a DEI Viper 791xv installed about a year ago and it's been working fine since... I have a small problem, my lazy ass installer didn't install the valet/override switch. My remote doesn't work any more and I read that the ONLY way to reprogram my new one is with the valet switch. So far I've just disconnected the battery to shut the alarm up..
I figure I have at least a couple of options:
1) Buy and install the switch myself
2) Take my car to another authorized DEI installer and get it done (I don't feel that I should have to pay for this, but I may also have no choice)
If I chose option 1, could anyone help me out by answering any of the following:
1) Will any switch work? Is it a momentary switch or a toggle?
2) Are the leads already coming out of the brain? (If so, what colors and what general location on the brain?)
3) Do I need some kind of adapter to plug into the brain so that I will have some leads?
I'm trying to find out as much as I can about this so that I minimize the time I have my dash in pieces. I am fairly experience in mobile electronics and stereo/gps installation but not so much car alarms..
Thanks all!
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
You can find the install manual in the12volt's downloads section.
In the back is a wiring diagram that shows you where the 2 pin plug is for the program stitch.
It is a normally open - momentarily closed switch you need - nothing special.
papichullo75 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, I am a authorized DEI installer, I can send you a valet switch if you want, you just have to plug it in to your 791 and that's it.(EASY IT IS A BLUE PLUG ON THE 791) If you want just e-mail me your address at salvatorejciullo@yahoo.com
dontmitchell 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

Ok so I go the install manual and according to that I need a momentary push button to short the gray and black wires on a blue connector.  It also says,

"Ghost Switch option: For added security, the GRAY wire on the two-pin Valet/Program plug can be connected to any switch in the vehicle that provides a positive (+) momentary pulse."

So I'm assuming that the black is just a negative ground and the + is the gray. Would it be possible to just run something like a high beam switch's positive lead to the gray and leave the black alone? This way I could just flash my high beams rather than hide a button...

papichullo75: I sent you an email, thanks.

Thanks again you all are a HUGE help,

Don

dontmitchell 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

Since I'm on here anyway, I had another quick question.

I have an '08 Scion tC and I was wondering if it's possible to somehow allow the Viper to arm/unlock and disarm/unlock with the simple lock and unlock commands of the Scion key with the integrated remote? I wouldn't really consider doing it myself, yet if it was possible to configure the system as such, I would take it to an authorized DEI installer...

Thanks again! 

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Probably the valet switch was installed somewhere, just not mounted. I would look to see if it's zip-tied under the dash, inside a fusebox, tucked under the front edge of the carpet, etcetera.
As to your other question, there exist alarms made to be used from the factory remote, but your 791xv does not have that feature.
dontmitchell 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your reply, Chris. I found the connector, it had two wires coming out already but no switch on it for some reason. I attached a switch I had and tested it out, it's the right one...

That's a bummer about not being able to use my original remote/key because if I accidentally use it to unlock the car the stupid alarm goes off.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. Everything is fine now!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic