icon

02 bmw x5 avitstart 4000 not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
njboost 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
local installer put a Avistart 4000 in my 2002 BMW X5 4.4l and of course its not working. After two whole days they could not resolve the following issues:
- Upon activating with the remote, on occasion, the car will sound the factory siren for a split second, turn over engine to start for a half second then it will immediately kill the engine. All other attempts will sometimes siren factory alarm but will still have same engine kill effect. I did notice that during the start up attempt that the third brake light is activating. This would indicate to me that maybe the remote start is sensing that the brakes are applied and the safety feature is killing engine??? I tried replacing the magnetic brake light switch with no luck.
I have since checked some of the wiring against the online diagrams for my vehicle and most seem to be right on. The tach wire must be tapped inside the vehicle since I cannot find it under hood at injector. Do these symptoms point to any one particular wiring issue? Any advice will be appreciated.
speed of sound 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

The tach wire can be found at the OBDII port in the vehicle it is a black wire.  Meter and test this wire before using it.  Cut the thin brown wire if you suspect the positive shut down wire stopping the start process.  You must disarm the factory alarm before start by pulsing the unlock wire in the door at the driver door module(DDM).  the unit should re-lock on its own.  hope this helps.02 bmw x5 avitstart 4000 not working -- posted image.  I would solder all connections too, it can't hurt.

Speed of Sound Technologies
230 pershing Dr
Ansonia, CT 06401
203-954-0066
njboost 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
I noticed the Black wire on the OBDII port is only used for the 3.0 motor X5's. At least what the diagrams recommend.
Now for the positive shut down wire stopping the start process. I am not following you as far as cutting the thin brown wire. At OBDII? or like initial post says i didn't install system but am back tracking the installers job trying to diagnose the issue.
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

He meant the thin brown wire at the brake switch from the Avital unit. If the car still does the same thing you can cross the brake causing the unit not to start off you list. If I were you I would take it back, have it pulled completely out and have them refund 100% of you money back.

Take it to a shop that actually knows what they are doing. Where did you have it installed at if you don't mind me asking?

Cris
njboost 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
Cris,
I'd rather not mention the name of the shop at this point but its a respected one in the area of south Jersey thats been around for a long time. Best buy and circuit refused to do the install that says enough right there. So your saying get rid of the thin brown brake switch wire where it splices (not even soldered) into the BMW brake switch, and all should be fine? Other than having the safety shut off feature?
My intention is to have the buisiness remove the equipment and refund the money due to their incompetence. I could have installed this $75.00 unit my self but decided to pay over $400 just to have it done for the wifes car while she was at work. As always the saying remains true, If you want anything done right, do it yourself.
StealthEs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

Unhook the brown wire to see if thats the problem. You said the 3rd brake light was coming on during remote start. Unhooking the brown wire would eliminate that as a problem if the car still doesn't stay on. If it still doesn't work you can hook it back up because thats not where you problem lies.

Cris
StealthEs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Also try starting it with the key in the ignition.
Cris
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
I would actually look directly at the connections at the igntion harness and the tach....that is what is going to affect the remote start portion. you car has 3 ignitions which means that a relay should of been used for the 3rd ignition and the pink/white wire should be programmed as an ignition too.  It is by default an accessory output which from my own experience has cause a BMW that i was working on to not remote start....
StealthEs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
You don't need the 3rd ignition for remote start.
Cris
njboost 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
so far for diagnosing the system I removed the brake switch wire and now car starts on every try. But with out the wire, I cannot shut off the car with the key. I have to use the valet switch on system to kill the engine. Any suggestions from here?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic