the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

quality amp with 20-25 hz subsonic filter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

audioman2007 wrote:
What exactly is a sub sonic filter anyways? When are they used? I have one on my amp but dont know what it does

It's basically just a high pass filter that lets you select which frequencies above a certain point you want to allow. This will keep your driver from over-exurting itself on frequencies lower han it can effectively reproduce. So, for your sub, you could set your sub-sonic filter to 20hz or so and it would start cutting frequencies out from 20hz on down - this can help emmensly in a vented box where, below the tuning frequency of the box the sub mounted in it will effectively become "unloaded" and can become damaged by over excursion.

-Matt

audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok So what you are saying is If I have my subs (which are 2 12" earthquake dbX sc) in a ported box which I will be making this friday, these subs are tuned to 35HZ therefore I will make the box tuned to 35. You are saying I would then set my sub sonic filter to 35HZ so any frequencies at and under 35HZ will be cut off?
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

What do you mean that your "subs are tuned to 35hz"? Are you trying to say that the FS of your subs is 35hz? Because I don't think it is., and subs aren't "tuned" to any specific frequency that I know of...

But the rest of what you posted is correct - if you tuned the box to 35hz, then I would set your subsonic filter to about 28-30hz, maybe even 25hz depending on how much power you're going to push them with.

My box with my 2 DBX 12's is tuned to 30hz, and I have subs bandpassed from 20-50hz - it goes loooooww and stays clean...

-Matt

audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
I meant the FS of the subs are 35Hz. I looked at the new dbX and found 35, and everyone has been saying the new are the same as the old FS wise. Anyways a friend had the same sub as I do except his was a dual coil. I bought the sub and the box it was in for $20. The box is a ported box measuring 5/8 thick    14" wide    19" deep   16 1/2 high outside measurements. The port then is 3" high   12 3/4 wide 16" deep. Could someone see what the box would be tuned to? Thank you. Oh another thing, is it recommended to have a subsonic filter for subs in a vented box?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, the PDX does have a subsonic at 15hz or 30hz.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2008 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
And I can speak from experience... The PDX1.1000 is a POWERHOUSE!!! I love mine.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic