icon

newer toyotas shut rs down and restart

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

Im may be installing rs in a few newer toyota vehicles and the guy im dealing with told me that the last guy that installed for him screwed up all the cars because you had to shut down the rs with the brake and restart it with the key. now i dont know what models these cars were or what brand of rs he was useing. has anyone heard of this before or was he doing something wrong. i will be useing compustar pro units and bypasskit bypasses if that helps

Thanks Brandon

The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
luckytii7 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

i also am curious on the outcome of not shutting it down because he was in a rush and didnt tell me

StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
What year, model? I know this is true for some Lexus which a Toyota. You have 45 sec's after the unit starts to do a key over ride otherwise you need to shut the unit down and restart it with the key.
Cris
tonyberg 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
this is true for vehicles equipped with the SmartKey system.  If it didnt shut down when the brake was applied you could just drive away since the steering wheel would be unlocked and its already running
luckytii7 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
so would a bypass fix this problem. this is a big deal to the guy
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
luckytii7,
On Toyotas with regular keys, it's just like any other car. Remote start, enter car, turn key to "run," drive away.
On Toyotas with the Smart Key (pushbutton start) system, it's different, but he can still have what he wants.
The Fortin CAN-SL-2 (www.ifar.ca) Or the iDatalink TB-SL-KO (not sure if I got the part number right) (www.idatalink.ca) both operate like this:
Remote start the car, unlock with aftermarket remote, enter car (with Smart Key on your person), and within 45 seconds, press brake. Car stays running and you can drive away.
If you haven't done one of these cars before, I recommend that you go to both of those sites, and read the install manual so you see what's involved.
Just go to the site, select any kind of Toyota/Lexus that has a Smart Key option (Avalon, Highlander, Camry, IS, ES), download the install manual, and study it carefully.
You're going to want to charge extra, but it helps to remind the customer that with either of those pieces, he won't have to give up any keys.
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2008 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
I just did a lexus with a smart key, and you cannot leave a transponder in the car or the car will start(and can be stolen), so you must use a fortin or idata module , bypass kits had no wiring info on the lexus, but its basically a camry so their kit should work but you need to wire into the ecu I believe..where the fortin just wires into the push button switch.
I did have problems with the brake so I had to isolate it with a relay when the car was running on the remote starter, the tech at fortin told me to be sure its the version 2.1 and I only had 2.0 with no way to reflash the keyoverall..so be sure you get the updated module..(not sure the tech knew what I was talking about though, and he seemed like he wanted to get me off the phone).
Not really difficult after you did one, but I spent a day doing mine, for 2 reasons, firstly I got my module from a Crimestopper distributor and it had the WRONG instructions included, second I had the module problem.
So take your time and do the bench prep very carefully, I would also ask the customer to leave the car overnight just in case you get a brain freeze like I did.
Got another lexus comming in about a week..hopefully the updated module will make it go more easily.
I am curious though if anyone had problems with the module throwing 12 volts into the brake wire on the internal realy??

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic