icon

vats

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bak0707 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everybody i just installed a r/s on a 99 buick century but it would not start. i believe i have my wires wrong on my relay. Also  when you are hooking the relay up do you need to start the car first. Sorry for the noobie question but this is the first vats system i have done.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
From my experience it will lock up for a few minutes if the remote start doesnt work.  Wait and then try it with a key.  Read the key with an ohm meter and it get the proper resistance and you should be fine.
bak0707 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
i measured the key it was 597 and the resistor i used was 620 i believe but i think i had it wired wrong and also it didnt try to start with the key in the ignition either. if anyone had a diagram that would be great.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
did you do a vats bypass with a relay? you would only need to start the car to grab the resistance from the cylinder. check this document out that i have. it should help you. http://documents.audiovox.com/700052.pdf
bak0707 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

i used a relay and a resistor. btw its a python 1400 r/s that im using on this install. that looks like the way i had it wired but would it matter if the vats wires  were backwards. also pin 86 from relay was wired to blue status output. my question is should pin 86 be hooked to ground while running?      Thanks for all the help

enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Put the resistor on 87 not on 30.  That might be your main problem.  and yes 86 should be ground while running.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2008 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
85 and 86 won't matter which one is 12v and which is ground. Most relays are non polarized. When it is hooked up all that matters is the relay is triggering contact 30 to 87.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
bak0707 wrote:

i used a relay and a resistor. btw its a python 1400 r/s that im using on this install. that looks like the way i had it wired but would it matter if the vats wires  were backwards. also pin 86 from relay was wired to blue status output. my question is should pin 86 be hooked to ground while running?      Thanks for all the help

Status output and ground-when-running are interchangeable terms - not sure if you were confused on that or not, but both terms refer to a wire that will output ground when the remote starter is active.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
bak0707 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

Well i tried for a second time to wire the relay and the resistor up to the car but had no luck so im not sure what i am doing wrong but i guess im gonna find a bypass module and do it that way. so thanks for all the help and if anyone knows of a good bypass module just let me know please.   Thanks again

aaronrs4 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
try just putting your resistor directly between the 2 wires without the relay and see if it'll start. (remember, put them on the BCM side, not the key side) if it still doesn't start , double check the resistance.
Install it like everyone will see EVERY part of it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic