the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Alpine/Infinity - Less Bass Then Expected

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vseven 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
O.k. I got everything sounding decent and I'm finaly drawing more then 0.8 amps! Heres what I did:
1. I verified both the postive and ground to be good and resistance free.
2. Since I had to carpet the board the amp was mounted to I disconnected everything and remounted. When doing the wires I recut and restripped them all to make sure I had good connections. I verified polarity on the speaker wire and opened the box up to make sure I got the internal wire correct. Everything looked good.
3. Once this was all done I started the car and set the radio to a volume of 22. It goes to 35 but I rarely listen past 20 so I figure 22 will give me a bit of cushion.
4. The HU has a option to turn off its internal amp, only powering the preamp outs. I turned this option on so I could hear just the sub output and adjust it.
5. I turned off the Media eXpander option and set treble and bass to +0. I also set the subwoffer output on the HU to +0.
5. I ran through the amps setup, setting the gain to 0db (range is 0 to -24Db). Told it to use both channels and to disable its internal crossover. Set its equalizer settings to flat, no boost on any frequency and put the subsonic filter at 30Hz.
6. Once the amp was setup it sounded decent but was getting a full range signal so on the HU I put the low pass filter at 120Hz and the high pass at 80Hz, this should give me enough of a overlap to not miss anything.
7. I re-enabled the HU's internal amp. Sound was good overall, not as muddy as before.
8. I put in a bass CD to test out the frequency response. I then played with the subwoffer level on the HU (goes from +0 to +15). At around +10 the sub was well pronounced. I put on a bass frequency scale, going from 200Hz to 20Hz in 10 Hz steps. As it got into the subs range it was so noticable that my car started to rattle. I checked the amps current draw display t it registered 4.6A so it finally started to draw something.
9. I turned the tuner onto a local rock station and adjusted the sub level to around +5 which seems to complement the other speakers just right. A beastie boys song came on and the bass drum thumps were well defined, much improvement.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think it was just a bad combination of settings on both the HU and the amp as when I first set it up I left the MX setting and the bass up a couple notches..it probably screwed me up. These things are getting so complicated, my amp has as much logic as my HU. But now I'm done, until Friday when the F340 gets delivered. Luckily I pre-drilled holes into my mounting board for the new amp so it should only take 20 minutes. Thanks again to everyone,
Allan.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic