my first ime working with fiberglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
corrysmtx 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2008 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everybody

I am attempting my first project with fiberglass. I removed my rear deck an plan on reforming it to do a custom mount for my 6'9s. I have used fiberglass before to fix headliners but that is about the extent of my knowledge.  I currently do a lot with 12volt mainly rs, alrms, keyless, heated seats, basic audio, and a lot with webasto sunroofs.  I would like to further my skills and start learning the custom aspect of this carrer.  I went out and purchased some dowel rods for the 6'9 mount frames and i figured im going to have to make it just the right size so i dont have to bend it to get it in or back out. Thats all i really have right know if anyone could give me some tips it would greatly be appreciated. thank you all very much.

luckytii7 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  

my first try was a rear deck in a lumina. the first time i did it i resined the carpet factory piece out of the car (big mistake but thats how you learn) the second time after a trip to the junkyard i taped the area off and sprayed it with mold release, than put the factory piece in to be resined and matted to make a solid foundation. after that its up to your eyes to get the layout right. and on to streching the fleece and resin and matting it(dont strech it too tight or you will bow your foundation). you can use spray gule to hold the fleece on the backside but the resin will break that bond if you get too much on it. finally the bodywork and covering it. the best ways i think to learn this stuff is to screw up on your own project, learn from someone that knows and you can watch, or pick up some how to videos(there are alot of them out there) i learned quite a bit from the ones i bought. i know i skipped thru alot but i hope that gives you a rough idea

The greatest revenge is living well and showing it
corrysmtx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for your input i appreciate it. what is mold release?

1 12" mtx 9500 4ohm dvc 1 8100d and 1 1501d almost loud enough to cover the sounds of my car dying.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
mold release is an addon you put on to a surface to help release FG (or any other molding material) from another part. Best to think of it as adding PAM to a pan to keep the food from sticking while cooking. You can find mold release as a spray or a wax that you rub on.
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
corrysmtx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
good deal thank you
1 12" mtx 9500 4ohm dvc 1 8100d and 1 1501d almost loud enough to cover the sounds of my car dying.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic