icon

amp powers on until the volume turns up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gunthagunth 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
I'm having a problem with my Eclipse Premium 34230 Dual mono amp. I have had it running for over 2 years now with no problems until today. When I start the car the amp powers on, light comes on, then when the volume turns up the amp works until bass hits a couple of times and then it shuts off, and the light goes out. You then turn the key off then back on and the amp turns back on again. All of the fuses are good. I checked with a 12v light and I have power/ground/and remote when the amp appears to be off. When I remove one of the rca's and only run one channel the amp works great for each channel. When both channels are working is when it shuts off. This amp is supposed to be a dual mono block. The specs are at the bottom of the page here.
http://www.fixya.com/support/p78775-eclipse_premium_34230_car_audio
My speakers are 2 12" Fosgate HE2's wired only to 1 voice coil on each speaker. Specs are here
http://www.fixya.com/support/p174422-rockford_fosgate_he2_rfp4212_car
Thank you for any ideas on this problem.
gunthagunth 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
actually now that I tested it again, it shuts off even when I am only using 1 channel.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Try this... Instead of everytime the thing shuts off and you turn the car off,  instead when it turns off, turn off your headunit and turn it back on to see if it turns back on. What might be happening though is your bass is hitting that hard that it is actually shutting off your amp.  It is possible that over time of the bass hitting, that is vibrating something lose in the amp which causes it to shut off. I had a problem with my amp after about 3 years that the ground connection inside the amp got messed up so everytime I would have a big bass note or went over a bump, it would pop, shut off then turn back on right away.
gunthagunth 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
Something was messed up with my headunit where the rem wire didnt work. So I have the remote wire spliced into the headunits accessory wire. Same thing shutting off and turning on the key. I just double checked the ground, solid ground with no corrosion or paint. I pulled the rem wire and jumped it with another piece of wire from the power wire going to the amp. Same thing. I turned down the gain and it works fine until I turn the gain back up. Thing is, there is very little bass with how the gain is set. Sounds like something loosened up in the amp.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
instead of just tapping into acc wire run a relay so it doesn't rely on acc but on a good 12v+ source. pin 85 to ground, pin 86 to radio accessory wire, pin 30 to 12v+ fused constant, pin 87 to amp remote turn on. You may need a diode across relay if you get a pop. The diode band will face pin 86 and the other end will go to pin 85. That will give you a good turn on lead.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
gunthagunth 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
yeah. that just seemed like overkill but I will probably do it one of these days. I have a few relays in my box. But the problem is not my remote turn on. I have jumped it with a wire from the 4g wire to the rem and it still does the same. I've had a amp shut off and turn on but not stay off. I tried slamming on the amp to get it to shut off when the gain was turned down but it wouldnt shut off. I dont wanna shell out the cash to get this thing serviced. its treated me so well so far and I'm going to want to keep it.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like either the amp broke or a speaker voice coil is fried, assuming you made no other changes.  Equipment does break and wear out you know.
Support the12volt.com
gunthagunth 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I know equipment breaks and wears out. Thank you.
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

I was thinking the sub voicecoil as well.  You may want to hook up a different sub and see what happens.  If it konks out then more than likely it's the amp.

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
If voice coil is half blown it may reduce the resistance causing the amp to overheat and shut off. Test the subs resistance at rest and also see if it changes with cone movement. Lightly push down while metering coil to see if it changes resistance at all.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic