icon

tilt sensor when armed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
How does a tilt/tow sensor know when the vehicle is armed? I mean, I have looked at the wiring for them and they have the basic 3 wires. And I know these sensors self adjust. But how does it know when the system is armed? In other words, how exaclty do these sensors work from the time you turn off the car and arm it, until they are triggered?
GregK 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
They don't know when it's armed, they work all of the time.
GDK Electronics
Home theatre & mobile electronics installations
Winnipeg, MB
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

GregK wrote:
They don't know when it's armed, they work all of the time.

huh? okay well you hooked up your tilt sensor with your shock sensor, you diode isolated the wires. assuimg like most shock sensors, four wires are present. GROUND, 12v (+), Warning Trigger, Full Trigger. the til sensor will adjust depending on the steepness of the area your decide to park your car on. Once you arm your car, the alarm unit waits for any trigger codes or receivers one from the shock or tilt sensors. The additional sensors added to your car are always working, but the ALARM is not triggered until it is armed and waits for an input/receivers info from the sensors. btw depending on the sensor, some dont fully lock into tilt position 30 seconds after you arm.

hope i didnt confuse you, if i did PM me and ill explain everything more clearly.

audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
I understand what greg was saying. Its the same thing as you said tedmond except not as detailed. So basically, they act like my shock sensor does... Let me explane. Reguardless if I have my system armed or not, if I tap the shock sensor, either the green or both the green and red LED will light up. There will still be a negative going through the trigger wire, but my alarm will only sound if I have it armed. So in reguards to the tilt sensor, the tilt sensor will continue to send a trigger signal to my alarm brain while im driving, but my alarm wont actually sound until my alarm is armed correct?    Oh and thanks to both of you for replying. I have been having a very tough time getting anyone to respond to my posts. I am in the process of adding sensors to my car, but I am at a stand still because nobody has been replying. One more question.... This was in another post (which nobody replied to). I obviously want to put in a tilt sensor. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to mount it on the underside of my trunk lid? This was it not only covers my entire car from being jacked up, but it also protects my trunk from being opened. I do know that a crowbar can snap open the trunk lock. And with my alarm, I have it programed that when I use the remote to pop the trunk, it also disarms my alarm. So would this be a good idea? I know I would have to run the power and trigger wires all the way back to the trunk, but I thought I would ask. Thank you.
chadwa2003 
Copper - Posts: 353
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
You can use it on the trunk lid but the problem is that the trunk will need to be opened a fare bit to trigger an alarm
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

If the sensor triggers the alarm at 1 degree difference, than if my trunk is opened 1 degree, it will trigger the alarm  correct?

chadwa2003 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
That is correct but your trunk pin in most cases will trigger as soon as the latch is popped. What kind of car? year make and model
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
02 cavalier. I think my trunk is a mercury switch. I tried tapping into the 12v+ going back to the light and I had absolutly no luck. I spliced into it actually and I had no light then.
chadwa2003 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah the cavalier is an odd one it is definately similar to a mercury switch it only turns on when the trunk opens half way
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

I think the was my car is set up is that if my trunk is open, my dome light comes on. My door trigger wire is ran to my domelight wire, not to the door pin switches. All I know is that one day we had a big ice storm. My sister was out helping me clean off my car. She went and hit the trunk release button (without ever telling me). We got my car  windows cleaned off and then left to go out for breakfast. My neighbor has known where exactly we were going. I armed my car  then we took my fathers jeep to go to eat. 15 minutes after we got there, the restaurant got a call from my neighbor saying my alarm was going off. Well when I got home  I went and disarmed it, put  the key in the ignition, turned it to see how many times the LED flased. Well it flashed for doors being opened. Anyways, after I am outside in the freezing cold trying to figure out whats wrong, thinking maybe my door switches are bad, even with my alarm disarmed  15 minutes after I would go inside , I would come out only to see that my blue LED is on like it comes on when I open my door, eventhough my domelight isnt on at this time. I even had to unplug the antenna wire so the LED wouldnt come back on. The next day I de-ice the rest of my car, I am back there working on my trunk. All of a sudden I push some ice off the lid and my trunk lid pops up alittle. Here my trunk lied was opened this entire time. The latch was unlocked but it didnt pop up. My sister forgot to tell me that she had hit the trunk releas button. But the thing that gets me is that the trunk was popped before I even armed it, meaning my alarm should have sounded. But I was also thinking of this.... I have a domelight delay. When I close my door, my domelight stays on for lets say another 15 seconds. because of this I have my alarm programed to bypass the domelight for 20 seconds. But my car also has a timer on it that if I leave my door open for lets say 15 minutes, after this set amount of time with the domelight staying on (with the door also staying open) my domelight will actually shut off to save battery power. Now could it be that the reason it took 15 minutes for my alarm to trigger that my trunk was open was 1. It bypassed that the domelight was on (domelight delay). 2. My domelight stayed on for 15 minutes since the trunk was unlatched, then after the 15 minutes the domelight would turn off (to save battery power) but with the trunk still being opened it turned back on triggering my alarm..... Its just a scenario. I honestly dont know if my trunk lid is protected. The 15 minutes that it took from the time I armed it until the time I got that call, it does have me concerned. Thats why I thought about putting the tilt sensor in. That was is someone did break my latch open, as soon as the lid is lifted, the alarm is triggered.    Boy with all this typing, I could have wrote a book about it...tilt sensor when armed -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic