icon

just got my dmm and another batt concern

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2008 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Well I just got my DMM and i got a couple questions on how to use it.
1. What setting is used for testing the ohms?
2. What setting is used for testing the battery volts?
3? How do I set my gains and adjust my audio using the DMM so I can make sure my speakers are getting just the right amount of power. To see how much RMS power that putting out at a certain volume.
And for the battery question. Is it bad to ground all my amps to the - terminal on the battery in the back? or should I ground them all in seperate locations on the chassis?
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
To test ohms there should be an ohms symbol on there with a range of values or one setting if auto ranging.
To test battery volts set to V DC and if there is a 20v setting that is what I use unless it is auto ranging.
I have never used a DMM to test for wattage or RMS and neither has anyone I have ever worked with so I would say it's kinda a waste of time with a DMM. I think you would need an oscilloscope and some other equipment to test for that.
Ground the amps to one location and first choice should be a solid piece of metal within 3 feet of equipment. The shorter the better and the cable should be the same size as battery cable run to amp + terminal.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
mazzasec 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
So i dont ground them all to the battery? just all one location on the chassis? Or can this be an option on location on the chassis then have the one wire ran to a distroblock and the have my ground wires go from the distro to the amps?
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2008 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
One ground will limit chance of ground loop noise entering system. The shorter the cable the better within 3 feet of equipment for optimum current transfer. You can ground with distribution block but try to keep wires as short as you can.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic